LilyAllenFan86

Default Sarah Warren single Mother

I am looking for some information please about one of my ancestors, my 4x great Grandmother Sarah Warren, I am interested in finding out more about unmarried Mothers during the 1830's 1840's period in England, Sarah had been born in 1812 in Witham Friary, Somerset the only daughter born to Labourer William Warren and his wife Sylvia Stickler, she had been baptised at St Mary the Virgin Church in Witham Friary on December 27th 1812, she had four brothers William, James, John & Benjamin.
    Sarah had four children during her life all out of wedlock Joseph in 1833 who was baptised twice firstly on January 20th 1833 and then again in November 4th 1838 along with his brother George who had been born in 1838, then in 1841 came Henry and Jane in 1850 who was baptised on December 1st 1850, all were born in Witham Friary, Sarah continued to live with her parents with the children until their deaths Sylvia in 1850 and William just a few months later in 1851, the 1851 census has Sarah living with her younger brother John who is a labourer and is quite strangley suddenly become older than his sister, the three sons of Sarah Joseph, Henry and George are discribed as brothers to the head of the household (John) and not nephews, Jane however is discribed as niece to John.
    In 1852 John died at just thirty two years old leaving Sarah now without any close family in the village only her children, her eldest Joseph married in 1857 to mary Edwards, but after the 1851 census no more is heard of Sarah in Witham Friary, in 1861 she is in Glamorgan married to a man named William Lester of Somerset with her three younger children George, Henry and Jane all three of these children would settle in Cardiff, Joseph and wife Mary would stay in Witham Friary a little longer, then leave for a short stay in Potterne, Wiltshire before settling in Pontypool, Monmouthshire.
    I can find no evidence of a marriage between Sarah and William maybe they weren't I don't know but to take on such a woman with these children he must have been a nice man, then that has also got me wondering whether William was the Father of the children which could be a possibility, I don't quite know where in Somerset he was from but am sure it wasn't Witham Friary, Sarah died in Cardiff in 1874 at sixty one years old.
    Her son Henry remained a bachelor all his life spending most of his time living with younger sister Jane, who herself married twice firstly to a John Iles and had five children, then she married a Norris Honeybun and had one daughter, George would also marry twice firstly to a Hannah and had five children and then a Mary Saymish and had a further two more children his son George was deaf.
    This is the background and everything I know about Sarah and her children and would love some further details about what life may have been like for Sarah during this time and the children, I have tried looking myself but always come up with the worng type of information, also maybe there are other relations of Sarah Warren through her children who's descendants ended up in Cardiff, Pontypool, London, Kent and even India.

Kind Regards
    Beth

Jan1954

Hello Beth,

As Sarah's children were born to an unwed mother, have you checked for bastardy orders at all to see if a father (or fathers) was named? She may have applied for Parish relief.
    Somerset Heritage Centre should be the place to start - worth whizzing off an email?

LilyAllenFan86

Yes thank you I will do that maybe I will get something.

harleyallison

Do you know who Sarah's grandparents were ? I have quite a few Warren family that came from Somerset.