Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    The only problem is that all of the other William Days whose death registrations were in West Ham after 1931 seem to have middle names other than the one I ordered.

I'm at a loss now to work out how to track down his death registration.
    Just in case, I had a look ...

Ignoring all those with a middle initial, there is this...

Death Jun 1942 Essex South Western 4A 231
    DAY, William
    Age 79 (so est. birth date 1863)

According to Genuki, Essex South Western was created out of the West Ham district in 1935.

Before you rush off and order another certificate. What was the address for the William Day who died in 1935? Just on the off-chance that he was at the same address in the 1911 census.

RobinC

That could be William, I believe I have tracked his birth registration down to this one

Births Jun 1863
    DAY William St Ives 3b 292

Swavesey was in the St Ives area according to freebmd so that makes the death registration you have found more possible.

Incidentally, my grandad's service book for the army shows that he had privilege leave from the 4th May to the 12th May 1942, I wonder if he returned to the UK (if abroad) to attend William Day's funeral as it seems that my grandad was brought up by William & Rose after his father died in 1928.

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Before you rush off and order another certificate. What was the address for the William Day who died in 1935? Just on the off-chance that he was at the same address in the 1911 census.
    No residential address as such but the place of death was "The Assembly Hall, 37 Branley (Granley?) Road, WH

I think it could be Cranley Road as there is such a road in Plaistow during the 1911 census which only goes up to number 35.

No residential address as such but the place of death was "The Assembly Hall, 37 Branley (Granley?) Road, WH

I think it could be Cranley Road as there is such a road in Plaistow during the 1911 census which only goes up to number 35.
    There was a Cranley Road Pentecostal Assembly Hall in 1937. See this entry in the London Gazette. It could have been up and running before this (for other events apart from marriages.)

However, since we don't have a residential address for William, I doubt that this helps any.

RobinC

Is there a way of obtaining the death certificate for the William Day who died in 1942 but doing it with the option of getting a refund if it isn't the right one? I don't want to spend £9.25 on another certificate that could be wrong.

Is there a way of obtaining the death certificate for the William Day who died in 1942 but doing it with the option of getting a refund if it isn't the right one? I don't want to spend £9.25 on another certificate that could be wrong.
    I'm only aware of being able to claim a refund if a) a certificate that is sent to you does not match the details that you have supplied or b) a certificate cannot be found that matches the details you have supplied. I don't think you can claim a refund if you just supply a name/date/location and then you decide after the fact that it is not the person you are looking for. If there are other criteria for a refund I'm sure members will pick me up on this.

Thus, I think you would need to specify something known - such as a likely informant, or an occupation or an address. Hmm! I suppose you could try a long shot and specify the same address that you have on Rose's death certificate. If you do want to try and specify something - then you may be better off going though a local register office - as they can often (but not always) be more flexible than the GRO.

The only other avenue I can think of is to search for an obituary in the newspapers or look for a burial/MI that provides sufficient clues (such as the names of any others buried in the same grave.)

Or children marriages - perhaps one might state deceased for the father which would help you narrow the time frame. Edit: I just realised it would be rather late for any children to be getting married in the 1930's or 1940's. Doh!

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I think you would need to specify something known - such as a likely informant, or an occupation or an address. The only other avenue I can think of is to search for an obituary in the newspapers or look for a burial/MI that provides sufficient clues (such as the names of any others buried in the same grave.)

Or children marriages - perhaps one might state deceased for the father which would help you narrow the time frame.
    The only informant that I can think of would have been my grandad but he was in the army from 1940 so I'm not sure if he would have been able to be present and the last known address is 40 Dartmouth Road which is where William was living at the time of Rose's death registration.

I haven't managed to find anything on the probate register and I'm not sure where to look for an obituary or grave listings.

William and Rose didn't have any children of their own so a marriage is out of the question unfortunately.

Perhaps members familiar with the area around Dartmouth Road in Essex can suggest a possible burial location for William and Rose and/or suggest local newspapers that might have an obituary or suggest other avenues for you to explore. Do you want me to move this thread to the Essex forum? Although strictly speaking the location is probably now Greater London. I'm still trying to find Dartmouth Road on a map.

RobinC

Yes, please could you move it to the Essex forum.

Dartmouth Road was (or still is) in Canning Town.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast