Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks for that.

I checked, and 1834 is marked as 'unfit for use'.

It appears to exist in microform form, though, so maybe one day it'll be digitised and online.

Sooooo excited now! I entered a competition on Find My Past - I think it was on Facebook - it had the chance to win one of their top subscriptions or several other lesser subscriptions including a year's subscription to the British Newspaper Archive. I didn't want to win the FMP subs because I already have it and use it a lot but the Newspaper archive - as you can see from my messages in this thread - will be so useful to me because there are literally hundreds of advertisements and reviews of my actors in lots of local papers so if I was coveting a subscription it was for the newspapers.
    This morning I had an email to say that I have won the subscription to the BNA. I have to wait for them to set up my account for me but pretty soon I will be spending far too much time reading newspaper reports about Miss Bessie Nathan and Charles Guilfoyle-Seymour.
    See, I said it was exciting didn't I?
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Well done, Ladkyis, great news!

Very quick off the mark.

Well done you.

I have always steered clear of Facebook up to now. Maybe I should change my attitude to it.

Regards,

Maggie

CanadianCousin

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by margarita View Post
    Well done you. I have always steered clear of Facebook up to now. Maybe I should change my attitude to it.
    There is nothing to fear about facebook as long as you remember that you are in control and you don't have to fill in all those details they ask for. Keep your comments and wall postings available to friends only and do not make everyone that asks be a friend.
    OH and never, ever write anything you don't want the world to see because if you do someone will share it.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    OH and never, ever write anything you don't want the world to see because if you do someone will share it.
    And don't post pictures that you are not prepared to share the location with the world, especially when taken with a modern camera or phone.
    Apparently, your posted photos on the internet can be tracked by GPS co-ordinates within an accuracy of 15 feet!

That's very scary

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

It is a great resource, and I've found a few bits of interesting information.

However I do think the access structure is very measly; spend £6.95 on the Ancestry website and you get 14 days of access; on Findmypast/1911 census websites, 90 days of access.

British Newspaper Archive website: 2 days.

Valued member of Brit-Gen.

Oooh Ladkyis - how exciting, congratulations, hope you have a great time browsing to your hearts content. I am very jealous !

Lesley

p.s. have to agree with Jonesy - I do find the low level access very offputting - not everyone has two whole days to use the site continuously to use the credits efficiently.

but Ladkyis - you can blissfully search at your leisure now - well done again

Starting to feel at home

Finally got around to looking at the British Newspaper Archive site, and on registering was immediately awarded 30 free credits! Not enough of course to have an indepth three cuppa session, but enough to wet my whistle, and satisfy my curiosity on what naughties landed my gt gt grandfather in prison for six months hard labour!

Just thought I'd mention in case anyone else hadn't got round to registering yet and was thinking of it...

Pam

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234