Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Holker

Default Third Western General Hospital, Neath 1919

Does anyone know if this hospital is still in existence? Full address is:
    Penrhiewtyn, Llantwit Lower, Neath UD, County of Glamorgan. I presume it was a military hospital of some sort.
    Now the second question.
    I have traced an ancestor who died there in 1919 as a private in the Royal Defence Corps, BUT, he is from Pendleton in Salford, Lancashire. Why would he be in a hospital in Neath when he is from Salford? I'm assuming here that the Royal Defence Corps were the equivalent of the Home Guard of WW2 and locally based. I may of course have the wrong person. He died from Labor Pneumonia and Meningitis aged 24.

Reputation beyond repute

This is a job for the Hospital Records Database

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rds/search.asp

Enter "Neath" as town name and then search. Select "Neath General Hospital" from the result list.

There don't seem to be many records available from the period you're interested in.

You'll see that it was established as a poor law infirmary. Many of these were used as military hospitals during and in the aftermath of the war.

By the way, what is "Labor Pneumonia"?

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    By the way, what is "Labor Pneumonia"?
    OK I've worked out what was meant. It's lobar pneumonia - pneumonia that affects whole lobes of either or both lungs.

Here was I thinking that it must be something brought on by hard work

Holker

Hello Peter,

Labor or Lobar - it didn't do him much good!
    From NA it looks like that hospital could now be the Neath General Hospital.
    Still puzzling over why a Lancastrian should be hospitalized in South Wales whilst enlisted as a member of the Royal Defence Corps.

Regards
    Holker

Reputation beyond repute

From NA it looks like that hospital could now be the Neath General Hospital.
    That's right.

Still puzzling over why a Lancastrian should be hospitalized in South Wales whilst enlisted as a member of the Royal Defence Corps.
    That's military logic for you

mark.r

Hi Holker' There use to be a hospital there but now it as been taken down and houses build there instead.Mark

Holker

Hi Mark,

So, the Third Western General Hospital wasn't on the site of Neath General Hospital so I'm assuming the present General Hospital in Neath is in another location altogether?

Reputation beyond repute

I think Mark is confirming what is stated in the Hospital Records Database -

"In Dec 2002 hospital merged with Port Talbot General Hospital and moved to Neath Port Talbot Hospital on a new site on the Baglan Moors"

mark.r

Hi Holker' You had the right hospital it use to be a war hospital then it became a Neath general hospital.But now it as been taken down and build he new one what Pete wrote down.I have a book showing pictures of the hospital what it was like when the war was on. If you like i can try and scan a picture of the hospital and send it on.Mark

Holker

Mark, Have sent you a private message
    Regards
    Holker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast