Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Default Probate lookup, please

Would someone please be good enough to do a look up on the Wills & Probate for the following:

Joseph Rivolta, died July-Sept 1893 in London.

Did he leave anything? If so, to whom?

Thanks in advance.

RobinC

I've just looked at Ancestry's Wills and Probate collection but nothing comes up for Joseph.

There is, however, a record for a Ann Maria Caroline Rivolta who died in Oxfordshire on the 11th December 1893 and her probate was granted on the 12th February 1894 to Caroline Ann Rivolta which consisted of Effects to the value of £261, 19s and 9d.

Ann Maria's last address was Farnborough Hill, near Banbury.

Any relation?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Did he leave anything? If so, to whom?
    Jonesy (and RobinC), the probate calendar doesn't provide this information.

It states who was the Executor(s), or the Administrator in charge of distributing the estate. This person may or may not have benefited. You would have to see the will (if any) to find out more.

RobinC

I didn't state that Caroline received the money, I stated the probate was granted to her. I know the will only shows who received any money, property or land.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I didn't state that Caroline received the money, I stated the probate was granted to her. I know the will only shows who received any money, property or land.
    Just to be clear, in this case there is no will. It's a grant of administration.

Coromandel

There are still gaps in Ancestry's coverage of the National Probate Calendar:

Our collection covers 80 years from 1861 to 1941. We currently do not have the books for the years 1858-1860 and there are some gaps for the years 1863, 1868, 1873, 1876, 1877, 1883, 1888, 1899-1903 and 1910-1911. However, we hope to add records for these years as soon as possible.

(I know Kerrywood has said this before somewhere, but I couldn't find the thread.)

The 'missing' years are still available in old-fashioned forms, i.e. printed volumes (at First Avenue House) and on microfilm.