Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in Essex

DaveLoy

Default Lost in Essex

I am trying to find two couples that I believe were in Essex (possibly Bradwell area) around 1800.
    William Douce and Mary Biggs had a daughter, Jane Douce christened on the 5th April 1829 in Bradwell on Sea.
    William Dyce and Janet Branch had a son John Dyce in about 1815.
    Eventually John and Jane got married ????? and went to live in Scotland. I'm trying to find the following:-

Any details of the parents.
    Any details of John birth and marrage to Jane.

Thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

I found Jane on the 1851 census, under the surname Duce.

Frith Villa, Laindon Essex, Laindon, Essex

Jane Duce. Unmarried. F. 1829. Servant. Bradwell, Essex

I checked the national burial index: no sign of John Douce or his wife Mary in Bradwell on Sea.

DaveLoy

Thanks for that. I think that Mary died around 1835 as William seems to have married again to Sarah Moss and had another child.

Thanks for your help.
    Dave

I found William and Sarah on a later census, the 1841 one, with a daughter Jane born around 1833 and a son William born around 1836 and a daughter Jane. I'm a little surprised that they named a daughter the same name of William's elder daughter Jane.

Did William and his first wife Mary have any other children?

DaveLoy

I can not find any trace of William & Mary having any other children. It is possible that the two Janes are the same. Both Janes were born before William and Sarah married and you know how reliable the 1841 census is for ages. Or perhaps I'm going in the wrong direction?

Regards

Dave

I think the the earlier Jane would probably be listed as age 10 (rounding down) with a birth date of around 1831. It seems to me that the 1833 birth date would be rounding down too much.

DaveLoy

Hi t@nya,

I am beginning to think I should start again with this.
    I know for sure that Jane Douce died in Scotland on the 19th July 1901 at the age of 69 years. ( Death cert). Her parents were William Douce and Mary Douce nee Biggs. This should give a DOB of 1832.
    There is a Jane Duce born in 1829 to a William and Mary and I assumed that this is my Jane, but is she?
    The Jane Duce on the 1851 census does have a DOB of 1829 so these two could be linked.
    Am I wrong with William and Sarah? The only link I have is the 1833 Jane.
    Jane had her first daughter in Scotland in 1854, therefore if there was a marriage it would probably be 1851 and 1854. ( No record of a marriage in Scotland)
    The census gives her DOB as:-
    1861 - 1830
    1871 - 1829
    1881 - 1826
    1891 - 1823
    The 1851 gives her place of birth as St Lawerence, Essex, which is very close to Bradwell.

There seems to be alot of Red Herrings here, but I shall keep on looking.

Thanks

Dave

Should this not be in the Essex forum - it does not seem to have much relevance to general queries/comments about church registers?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mead View Post
    Should this not be in the Essex forum - it does not seem to have much relevance to general queries/comments about church registers?
    Good point, Andrew, and it may well reach a wider audience as members with an Essex interest may be able to help. I shall slide it over to Essex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast