Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wonnig

Default GRO - Certificate Service Complaints Form

Some words of warning

I have recently had a need to contact GRO about a marriage certificate I received from them. I couldn't find anything on their site other than a "form" at:
    https://contact.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact.php?pager=3

At the bottom of this form is a "further details" field, to the right of which is a message:
    "There is a limit of 250 words on this response."

However, when I completed this the system would not allow the form to be submitted. To the left was a warning to the effect that only 250 characters were permitted!!
    Despite my reducing my text several times I kept getting the same message.
    I eventually managed to cut it down to something under the 250 characters which was accepted.
    However my message now did not even begin to provide enough information about the problem.

v.wells

Also, make sure that you put GQ in the subject line of your email to them or it will be ignored. GQ stand s for General Question inquiry.

I also have not seen this new complaint form before.

wonnig

I hadn't noticed the email address. I was able to submit my "complaint", (more of a request for a check of detail). I had an automated acknowledgement of my message so I'll give them 5 days, which is the time that they allow themselves for replies. However I think I'll email them about the problem with that field. It has to be a fault that needs to be fixed.

wonnig

I had my reply from GRO by email to day from GRO with a request that I not reply by email, but use the form.

Because I had not been able to explain in sufficient detail they had taken it that I was wanting them to amend the marriage record I had queried, rather than confirm whether or not the name on the printed certificate was the same on the original records, or had there been an error.

I have now replied, (by email to [email protected],) & pointed out to them the problem with the "further details" field on the online complaints form. However, I tried that field out again tonight and it has been changed. Whereas it originally said 250 words were allowed, it now reads 250 characters!!
    I'm certain, when I first completed the form on the 7th, that it was "words" & not "characters". Maybe the problem has been noticed at GRO & fixed?

I have also made the point that a 250 character limit will be inadequate for many issues.

bamagirl

Quote Originally Posted by wonnig View Post
    ... I have now replied, (by email to [email protected],) & pointed out to them the problem with the "further details" field on the online complaints form. However, I tried that field out again tonight and it has been changed. Whereas it originally said 250 words were allowed, it now reads 250 characters!!
    I'm certain, when I first completed the form on the 7th, that it was "words" & not "characters". Maybe the problem has been noticed at GRO & fixed?

I have also made the point that a 250 character limit will be inadequate for many issues.
    Hi, wonnig.

In my "other" life, I'm a database programmer. 250 characters is a standard limitation of un-formatted text fields in most database software. Presumably the complaint form generates a record in a trouble-ticketing program that has this limitation. I totally agree with you that it is not enough space for a thorough explanation as you were trying to do. Unfortunately, I doubt they could easily fix this without a design change.

I have not dealt with the GRO yet, myself. Is it acceptable to tell them you found a discrepancy and wish to discuss this with them?

Hope you get it all straightened out.
    Barb

jac65

Because I had not been able to explain in sufficient detail they had taken it that I was wanting them to amend the marriage record I had queried, rather than confirm whether or not the name on the printed certificate was the same on the original records, or had there been an error
    When you say printed certificate do you mean a typed certificate? I'm not sure about the more recent ones but for most marriage certificates the body of the certificate is a scan of the actual register that the GRO hold but that is not the original register. That would be held by the local Register Office. If your query is that a name on the certificate is not what you expected then it might be best to either query it with the relevent Local Register Office, or if a church marriage, the church register.

Andy

wonnig

Quote Originally Posted by bamagirl View Post
    Hi, wonnig.

In my "other" life, I'm a database programmer. 250 characters is a standard limitation of un-formatted text fields in most database software. Presumably the complaint form generates a record in a trouble-ticketing program that has this limitation. I totally agree with you that it is not enough space for a thorough explanation as you were trying to do. Unfortunately, I doubt they could easily fix this without a design change.

I have not dealt with the GRO yet, myself. Is it acceptable to tell them you found a discrepancy and wish to discuss this with them?

Hope you get it all straightened out.
    Barb
    I understand what you say about 250 chars, so it is possible that the text to the rhs of the info input field did specify characters rather than words, but I'm pretty sure that it was the latter, in which case the programmer(s) possibly used this without thinking. I've told them, via email, that I think 250 chars is too short, but being the civil service they'll no doubt take the view that they know what is best for us all.

It's likely to push people with a query or complaint in to using the standard email route, which, it seems, they're trying to avoid being used as the main vehicle for problems, etc. I know I'll go that if I have any further need to contact them.

bamagirl

Quote Originally Posted by wonnig View Post
    I understand what you say about 250 chars, so it is possible that the text to the rhs of the info input field did specify characters rather than words, but I'm pretty sure that it was the latter, in which case the programmer(s) possibly used this without thinking. I've told them, via email, that I think 250 chars is too short, but being the civil service they'll no doubt take the view that they know what is best for us all.

It's likely to push people with a query or complaint in to using the standard email route, which, it seems, they're trying to avoid being used as the main vehicle for problems, etc. I know I'll go that if I have any further need to contact them.
    Yes, I totally agree. Thanks for posting the heads-up about this issue. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I ever need to contact the GRO myself.

Regards,
    Barb

wonnig

Good point, thanks.
    As I put, i think, in my email to GRO, all of my copy certificates from around that time are copies of handwritten text, rather than typed versions.

I'm intending to have 2 or 3 days in Gt Yarmouth in the near future so a trip to Norwich RO might be beneficial.

Mutley

Just out of curiosity, I wondered how much you can say using 250 characters? Seemingly not very much. (100)
    I hope it did not also include your name and address. (51)

And now I can say no more as I have probably exceeded the limit and will be cut off in mid flow. (104)

P.S. It was the smile that took me over the top!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast