lostinspace

Default New (fairly), researching Eames and Burdett

I've just realised I have not introduced myself, even though I've already had some (mch needed) help already.
    I'm from Doncaster and currently unemployed, so I've taken the opportunity to start researching my past. There are two family stories which I'd like to resolve, which is why I'm doing it.
    One is that we are related to Grace Darling on my father's side, but as the family name is Robinson, with no details of my grandparents of any kind, I'm leaving that for when I get some experience.
    The other is that we're related to a baronet, when in the distant past one of the sons got a servant pregnant and married her rather than letting his father pay her off. As a consequence he was disinherited. That family name is Burdett, and the old family seat is now a school and most of the streets around the area are Burdett Close, Road etc.
    I've only done what I can find from census records and Free BMD so far, but intend to go into more depth when I get back into work and can afford to send for certificates etc. And I'm going to make an appointment with the local archives to see what I can pilfer from there!
    Info on any other free online resources would be much appreciated, and if anyone else is searching through Burdetts or Eames, feel free to get in touch.
    Regards,
    Doug
    Last edited by lostinspace; 27-10-2011 at 9:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

glynisaddy

hello doug
    a warm welcome to the brit-gen forum
    glynis

Lone Pine

Hello Doug from me as well, as it happens I work with an a lady whose maiden name was Eames, small world.