Thread: 50% English

Yeates

Default 50% English

How do you do.
    I write from Wisconsin, USA, although half my genealogy research is in England (the other half is in Poland.) My grandparents migrated to Canada in 1911; immigrated to the USA in the 1920s.
    The majority of my English ancestors lived in northwestern Kent, especially Cudham, Bromley, and thereabouts. Also, adjacent areas of Surrey. My grandfather's father's family was from Bucks (Chesham) and migrated to London; his mother's family were copper miners in Linkinhorne, Cornwall.
    The tangents genealogy research presents fascinate me. I enjoy reading about issues or events (ag labourer history; copper mining; nonconformist history; wooden-ware work in Bucks; whatever presents itself that lends context and dimension to my ancestors.)
    I am hoping to be an active member of this forum.
    Regards,
    Yeates

Procat

Greetings Yeats and welcome aboard.

Some would argue that the Cornish part of your Ancestry is not English at all. But we are not so precious here.

Yeates

Thank you for the greeting.
    heh heh Yes, I understand about Cornwall's independence of spirit, culture and geography. However, I hadn't until I read about the unique contracting approach individual miners had; the Celtic background; the especial acceptance of Methodism; etc. Besides, I had to find out why there were so many Sampson's in my family--a forename never encountered in Kent, Surrey or Bucks.

Colin Rowledge

Welcome to B-G, Yeates.

As you say, Cornwall is unique. My mum's family hailed from there and in tracing the family back, I have come across given names that for generations were found only in Cornwall. As the descendants migrated away from Cornwall, those given names quite frequently disappeared.

Enjoy the forums

Colin

Yeates

Dear Colin,
    Thank you for the welcoming greeting.
    It seems your family, too, migrated to Canada. My father and his sister were born in Montreal.
    I imagine--it would be an interesting study---that many immigrant names become more and more dilute with each generation in the "new" homeland.
    Yeates

lizone

Hello Yeates

Just four days ago I was looking up Mineral Point, Wisconsin as I had just found family from Cornwall who had emigrated there in the 1850s. It looks like a real Cornish home-from-home!

Liz

Yeates

Dear Liz,
    We live about 60 miles from Mineral Point. I am assuming your ancestors were miners? Not knowing how deeply you “mined” the Internet for relevant history, this site takes you to a list of articles for that lead-mining region on a Wisconsin Historical Society site:
    www.
    wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/tp-026/

I am new to B-G, as you know. It seems if you would like to discuss this further we need to go into private messaging. I would welcome that if you are interested, although my knowledge is more limited than my geographical proximity would indicate.
    Regards,
    Yeates