quiffdo

Default Mary Elizabeth Whelan help

Hello all,

I am slowly but surely piecing together the lives of my Whelan family who moved to the USA and am in desperate need of help with Mary Elizabeth Whelan.

She was born on the 08 May 1876 in Tyrone, Northern Ireland.
    I have her on the 1910 US census living with her brother Patrick Whelan at 592 Forrest Ave, Ambler, Pennsylvania.

On the 1920 US census she is still with her brother Patrick living at 115 Hendricks Street, Ambler, Pennsylvania.

It states that she immigrated in 1887 on the 1910 census but 1897 on the 1920 census.

I believe she should be on the 1900 census either way and possibly the 1930 census.

I don't know when she passed away but I'm sure it was in the US.

I don't think she married.

Any help tracking her down would be fantastic.

Many thanks in adavance

Danny

Jan1954

Hi Danny,

I have just checked the Castle Garden and Ellis Island websites, both of which have details of incoming passengers to the USA.

The Castle Garden website did not have any likely candidates for 1887 that I could see, but Ellis Island (having opened in 1892) has the following:

Mary Whelan, aged 20 and Irish, arrived on September 14th 1896 on board the Ethiopia. The port of departure was Moville.

Now, I know that this is a year out but Moville is in County Donegal, across the tip of Lough Foyle from County Tyrone - a beautiful part of the country, I must add, and I have visited the area a few times. Whereabouts in Co Tyrone was Mary born/living?

This could be a red herring, but is something that might be considered.

quiffdo

Thank you Jan, I will keep tabs on that and see if it ties in. I t does look likely though. I t would seem either way that she should be on the 1900 US census. Probably not with her brother as he was training at the time. Possibly with another family member.

Danny

quiffdo

Just updating as I go along. What I really need is to locate her on the 1900 and 1930 (Providing she was still alive) US census. Also if possible her date of death.

Danny