Thread: No Death record

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default No Death record

After a couple years searching and a couple of wrong certificates, I have finally found a burial for Joseph Ravenscroft age 2 Ardwick Cemetery, Sept 2 -1846, after new records were put on FMP, I still cannot find a death to correspond with this on Free bmd or Lancs bmd... THis is the death I have been searching for, the age is exact right down to the month and his baby sister and parents are also buried there. Even lists cause of death-teething-water on brain- how sad, so even though I now know approx time of death and cause I would still like a death cert..
    Could it have simply been missed during transcription onto freebmd???

pennydog

Have you tried applying to the GRO? You can apply, without giving the reference numbers, just fill in all the details that you have (on the form tick the box marked "no" to the question "Is the GRO reference number known", a new screen comes up allowing you to fill in the what you know). They will then look for you and if there is no death cert, they will then refund you the cost of the cert. It does take a little longer to process.

Coromandel

You can check for yourself whether the entry is in the GRO index. A quick way to find the right page is to search on FreeBMD for any Ravenscroft deaths registered in the quarter of interest, then click on the pair of glasses next to any search result to view a scanned image of the corresponding page of the GRO index. You will then be able to see all the Ravenscroft deaths registered that quarter. I had a quick look but didn't see a Joseph.

The GRO index itself is far from perfect, with some events registered locally never appearing in the GRO index, or being misindexed. However, if the death is not in Lancs BMDs either, it may be that it was not registered at all. Colin D. Rogers in his excellent book The family tree detective: a manual for tracing your ancestors in England and Wales notes that registration of deaths was more complete than that of births in the early years of civil registration but goes on to say:

Research suggests that underregistration [of deaths] was worst in the period 1841-46, and that the majority of those missing were probably young infants.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    You can check for yourself whether the entry is in the GRO index. A quick way to find the right page is to search on FreeBMD for any Ravenscroft deaths registered in the quarter of interest, then click on the pair of glasses next to any search result to view a scanned image of the corresponding page of the GRO index. You will then be able to see all the Ravenscroft deaths registered that quarter. I had a quick look but didn't see a Joseph.

The GRO index itself is far from perfect, with some events registered locally never appearing in the GRO index, or being misindexed. However, if the death is not in Lancs BMDs either, it may be that it was not registered at all. Colin D. Rogers in his excellent book The family tree detective: a manual for tracing your ancestors in England and Wales notes that registration of deaths was more complete than that of births in the early years of civil registration but goes on to say:

Research suggests that underregistration [of deaths] was worst in the period 1841-46, and that the majority of those missing were probably young infants.
    Took your advice and I am now wondering if this has simply been wrongly entered..reason
    The burial took place 2 Sept 1846- Joseph Ravenscroft age 1 yr 11 mths..Now it should be registered in Sept 1846 deaths for Chorlton, which is where they lived..
    There is a death for a John Ravenscroft-Chorlton-Sept 1846.
    Joseph's father, my 2 x G Granddad, was named John and when I recieved Josephs 1844 birth cert in the name colum they had entered John, crossed it out and put Joseph, which I thought was strange at the time and put it down to the registrar just entering G Granddads name in the wrong column..
    May have to purchase this cert as no age is in the GRO at that time unfortunately and it does not appear on Lancs bmd, which is not unusual as checking there coverage areas Chorlton does not appear to have been transcribed as of yet by Lancs bmd
    Could this actually be Joseph?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    Could this actually be Joseph?
    I've worked this through against the GRO indexes and I'm pretty convinced this must be the one you want. There's nothing else that seems to fit.

Just some closure to this post, I finally recieved the death certificate and it is indeed "Joseph" death cert,it is recorded as John Ravenscroft...parents noted so confirmation...the birth cert is still a mystery, the fact that it was John then altered to Joseph, and he was buried at Ardwick as Joseph! maybe his parents couldnt agree on the name! But obviously he was known as Joseph to be buried as such, , our ancestors certainly did not make our research easy!
    Thank you to members who contributed to this post

Val

Colin Rowledge

I am happy for you that you can bring closure to this matter.

Colin