Bensam32

Question Hello, I am Cheryl

Hello:
    My name is Cheryl Morel, I live in Durban, KZN South Africa. I come from a large Catholic family, mother English and father French. I am trying to trace my grandfather, I have so much information about him but his birth date and where he was born, Scotland or England. It has been very interesting but frustrating tracing him and coming up with nothing. I have his day of birth, his grave date and number, his marriage certificate with his signature on it, I have my mothers birth certificate with his name on it but no birth date for him. I know that he arrived in the Port of Natal in 1900 and he was a cook on the ship but do not know where to look for the records that will have his name listed. I know that he worked as a crane driver when my mother was born and that she was born in Inyoni in the Natal Zululand area. She did mention that he worked for the Railways. The death record states that he was 69 when he died but when I mentioned this to my mother she said that he was older than that but does not know what age he was. She was a young girl when he died. My mother is no longer with us so I am trying to trace online. Regards Cheryl

Colin Rowledge

Hi Cheryl
    You are among friends here and would appear to be one of our few members from South Africa.

My grandfather died on board a ship coming back from the Cape so I'd like to know more of the life and times there in the mid 1950's

BTW - what does KZN in your location mean? OK, I flunked geography as a kid!!!

Bensam32

Hi Colin

This is so fantastic, people are so friendly, so glad I joined. KZN stands for KwaZulu Natal, in the old South Africa it was known a Natal or the last out post (meaning British), now this is the new South Africa and they have combined the Zulu name and British name KwaZulu Natal which is a mouth full so everyone just put KZN. I have lots to tell you about South Africa.

glynisaddy

hi cheryl
    a warm welcome to the brit-gen forum
    glynis

Bensam32

Hi and thanks for the wonderful welcome, excited to be a part of this community.