Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bertie

Default Watkins and Fey Egham Surrey

I wonder if anyone can help me with a tantalising problem?

I have an Anne FEY who in 1851, 61 and 71 is living with her 1st cousin William WATKINS, Bookseller, in High Street, Staines, Middlesex.

It is Williams parents' marriage and anything about the mother especially that I am interested in. So, William was bap. 16 Apr 1809 in Egham, parents John and Mary WATKINS and has elder siblings starting with John bap. 13 Dec 1795.

I ASSUME this was in St. John the Baptist Church in Egham and I ASSUME John and Mary married there but I can find no marriage via familysearch (I don't think they have the years in question - but the Surrey History Centre Archives do)

Based on the relationship between Anne FEY and William WATKINS I ASSUME that William's mother was born FEY and I would like to confirm this.

By the way I suspect that John and Mary WATKINS are in Windsor RD in 1841 (he 78, she 73) and died there in 1841 and 1843 respectively - but I do not have this record. I am particularly interested in anything recorded about place of birth of Mary.

pennydog

The 1841 census HO107-1074-10/50-15 Egham Surrey (crown copyright/care of TNA)

John Watkins b1763 - independant means
    Mary Watkins b1768

Both have born in county boxed ticked. Sadly no other info.

Coromandel

Here are some entries mentioning the names Fey and Watkins, from a list of documents relating Staines. They come from a catalogue of the 'Oliver Collection', which is 'housed in the University of London Library Depository at Royal Holloway'.
    • Executors of the late William Watkins in account with Mr. Joseph Goldhawk. Bank: Thomas Ashby & Co. 1882. Account book. [887]
    • William son of John and Mary Watkins born February 27th 1809 baptized April 16th 1809. James Dodd, Parish clerk. 1809. Handwritten note. [888]
    • Receipts from Mr. Joseph Goldhawk for money from Sarah Watkins. 1883. Handwritten. [894]
    • Probate of the will of Ann Fey, deceased. Extracted by Burton Yeates & Hart. 1880. Legal document. [993]
    • Cash book of Joseph Goldhawk, executor to the late Ann Fey. 1880. Cash book. [994]
    • Bills, receipts, etc relating to Ann Fey. 1871-1879. [995]
    • Bills, receipts, etc relating to Ann Fey. 1880-1881. [996]
    • Inland revenue account & receipt relating to Ann Fey. 1880. Printed forms. [997]

details are from https://
    personal.rhul.ac.uk/uhyl/007/staines.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    Based on the relationship between Anne FEY and William WATKINS I ASSUME that William's mother was born FEY and I would like to confirm this.
    Couldn't she equally well be a cousin on William's father's side, if one of his father's sisters married a Mr Fey? Or one of William's mother's sisters could have married a Mr Fey?

Bertie

Thanks for your help pennydog and Coromandel.

Re. what you found Coromandel William WATKINS married a GOLDHAWK hence the links to both him and to Ann FEY.

You are, of course, right about the other marriage possibilities which I had overlooked! Re. the first, I can find no WATKINS / FEY marriage. The second option can only be found if I can find the maiden name of John WATKINS' wife Mary. I perhaps was jumping to conclusions unnecessarily in guessing Mary was a FEY but I would still love to know who John WATKINS married in or before 1795.

Thanks for your interest

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I perhaps was jumping to conclusions unnecessarily in guessing Mary was a FEY but I would still love to know who John WATKINS married in or before 1795.
    A couple of slightly confusing entries from the Surrey Marriage Index, both marriages at Chertsey (close to Egham).

9 April 1795 - John WATKINS and Mary TRY

9 May 1795 - John WATKINS and Mary FRY

It looks like you'll need to see the original register if you want to pursue these. Surrey History Centre will send you a printout (or two) for a modest fee.

Bertie

Thanks Kerrywood and well done for finding that - until I see the actual entry, of course, it seems pretty likely that is the marriage I am looking for! Like the Egham parish records, the Chertsey ones are also not available on familysearch for the year I am interested in - just my luck.

Does anyone go to the Surrey History Centre Archives?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I ASSUME this was in St. John the Baptist Church in Egham and I ASSUME John and Mary married there but I can find no marriage via familysearch (I don't think they have the years in question - but the Surrey History Centre Archives do)
    Family Search do appear to have marriages for St John The Baptist, Egham for this time period. See here.

Source Film: 994419
    Batch No. M09892-3

Just to test this, on Family Search I searched for marriages 1795 +/-5 at Egham, Surrey, England for John (choosing a common first name and no surname) and there were quite a few, although nothing for a John WATKINS.

I imagine there are quite a few John WATKINS/Mary marriages outside of this area. For example, there was a marriage between John WATKINS and Mary GREEN in 1794 at New Windsor. There was no marital status on the record I looked at. (FMP)

Although Windsor is quite close to Egham, this doesn't help determine if the above is the correct marriage or not and the surname GREEN does not appear to tie in with your FEY's.

Edit: I see Kerrywood has found you a good marriage possibility.

BTW: I noticed from another of your threads that you had not found a marriage between William FEY and Virtue KING. I take it you have found their marriage by now.

Bertie

Nothing gets past you olliecat! But no, I have still not found the marriage you note above, and it's possibly in some church not on familysearch. However, my interest in Ann FEY, their daughter, increased in discovering that William FEY had [at least] a sister (i.e. William WATKINS' mother). William FEY was supposedly a refugee from the French revolution who set up a Nursery business in Burley, Hampshire and I had assumed that he fled alone, but that would seem not to be the case!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Nothing gets past you olliecat! But no, I have still not found the marriage you note above, and it's possibly in some church not on familysearch.
    Off-topic for this thread but here is a possible marriage for you...

William FEY of the parish of Christchurch, Hants, widower and Virtue KING of this parish, spinster were married by licence on 26 February 1815 at St James, Poole, Dorset.
    Witnesses: John Waterman, Elizabeth (J?)afford

Perhaps I should post it on your other thread.

Bertie

OMG! Where did you get that from? Any chance you could find his first marriage!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast