B Rooke

Cool William Bradford Battle of the Boyne

My name is Brenda Rooke. I live in sunny California. In the summer it gets up to110 or more. My ancestor ( William Bradford) came to America in ca. 1695. William stayed in Ireland, married and then came to America. They landed in Wilmington and moved on to Maryland, then to Virginia, they finally settled in North Carolina. I so enjoy history, especially when it's your own.
    My husbands father Will Rooke came to America in 1912, so my husband Cal is the first generation. Will Rooke settled in South Dakota. Eventually moving to California. My husband is retired Air Force and lived in England for about 16 years. He was able to visit with his relatives while stationed there. Not knowing that his Kindred relatives on his mothers side came from Northumberland.
    I'm hoping to find out if there is a list of soldiers names that fought for Charles. Also my relatives in England. Looking forward to this new pathway. Thanks

lizone

Hello Brenda

Just as an initial taster, Padraig Lenihan's book 'Battle of the Boyne: 1690' (published 2005) is worth a look - it is very well referenced back to source material which you may find useful. Hopefully you may be able to get hold of it in the US. My 7 x great grandfather, Ralph Wood, is reasonably well documented as fighting and dying at the Battle of the Boyne on the side of James but, to date, I have not been able to find out more. I suspect you may have more chance if your ancestor fought with Charles. Anyway, I look forward to your detail post!

Liz

Knowledgeable and helpful

The leader on the side opposing James at the battle of the Boyne was William of Orange, not King Charles II (who had died in 1685). I am not aware of any detailed records of troops names on either side, save for some of the more famous officers. Records that far back in Ireland are pretty scarce.

lizone

Of course Elwyn - that was a case of fingers working faster than my brain! The book I referred to has a long list of primary sources which may help in research. Generally, where they exist, there seem to be more references to those who fought in William's army than in James' army.