Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Question 1911 Census,General Question

I have details of a family according to 1901 census, townland, civil parish etc. How can I obtain 1911 details for same family, is there any facility online. Can anyone advise please.

Many Thanks

Tullamore

Mythology

Assuming that THIS PAGE is up to date, nothing online, but if there's an LDS FHC on Jersey you should be able to order the film of an index (not the actual census by the look of it) through them rather than flying to Dublin or Belfast.

(Edit ...... maybe. On reading it again, I am a little confused, but it seems to be saying that in most cases it's an index to enumeration districts?)
    Last edited by Mythology; 05-07-2005 at 8:14 PM.

Reputation beyond repute

The FHL catalogue claims that it's been filmed:-

Title Census of Ireland, 1911
    Notes Microfilm of original records at the National Archives, Dublin.

Subjects Ireland - Census - 1911

Format Manuscript (On Film)
    Language English
    Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1997-1999
    Physical on 3314 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.

It would be nicer to go to Dublin, though.

Mythology

That looks more promising - 3314 reels has to be the real thing, doesn't it?

(Mind you, if you went to Dublin, you could look up a couple of 1920ish births which *may* have been in Ireland and a 1970s death which *may* have been in Ireland .... go for a week and you might sort my lot out .... but these events *may* have taken place on Jupiter. )

Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    The FHL catalogue claims that it's been filmed:-

Title Census of Ireland, 1911
    Notes Microfilm of original records at the National Archives, Dublin.

Subjects Ireland - Census - 1911

Format Manuscript (On Film)
    Language English
    Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1997-1999
    Physical on 3314 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.

It would be nicer to go to Dublin, though.

I can confirm that you can order in film of the 1911 census at LDS Family History Centres as I've done it. You do have to know details of address such as those that you have from the 1901 census as you order the film for that particular area. Looking for the same address as the 1901 should make it not too difficult to identify. If there is an index as has been suggested then all the better but I don't remember one. Can't remember exactly how I did it as it's a few years ago but study the LDS catalogue carefully and if there is a librarian at the FHC who is knowledgable on this subject,they'll be very happy to help. (They'll help you even if they are not familiar with the Irish census). You can access the catalogue online at <www.familysearch.org> Make a note of any film numbers you may want to order, I usually print out the information so there is no doubt when I show it to the librarian. Good luck.

Default A note of thanks

A big thank you for all replies to my 1911 enquiry. Im busy checking things out.

Tullamore.

Patricia Jones

Thumbs up !911 Irish Census

I enquired of Eneclann Ltd./Archive CD Books Ireland if the census for 1911 Ireland was to be digitised. His reply "The National Archives of Ireland are working on a project to digitise all the 1901 and 1911 census and make them available online for free. This project should be published sometime next year" So hang on in there!
    Patricia

Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Jones
    I enquired of Eneclann Ltd./Archive CD Books Ireland if the census for 1911 Ireland was to be digitised. His reply "The National Archives of Ireland are working on a project to digitise all the 1901 and 1911 census and make them available online for free. This project should be published sometime next year" So hang on in there!
    Patricia
    Brilliant news! To look at these at leisure and not restricted by time at the FHS will be wonderful.

ET in the USA

Default Any update on 1911 Ireland Census ?

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Jones
    I enquired of Eneclann Ltd./Archive CD Books Ireland if the census for 1911 Ireland was to be digitised. His reply
    "The National Archives of Ireland are working on a project
    to digitise all the 1901 and 1911 census and make them available online for
    free. This project should be published sometime next year"
    So hang on in there!
    Patricia
    I just read about this in the May/June 2006 Everton's Genealogical Helper that I browed through at my local library. Does anyone have a clearer idea of when or on which site it will appear? I assume that a message posted in 2005 that says 'next year' means this year, 2006. Are they on target ?
    Last edited by ET in the USA; 19-05-2006 at 5:06 AM.

The Irish National Archives have signed an agreement with the Canadians to digitise the 1901 and 1911 census. It is planned to start with the 1911. According to John Grenham at a lecture he gave at the Irish Geneological Research Society's AGM on 6th May, the plan is to release the census in a piecemeal fashion (to avoid problems like the surge of attention and subsequent crash of the 1901 release here). They are starting with Dublin, Belfast and major urban areas and are talking of having Dublin online by the end of 2006. Once the 1911 is complete they will do the 1901.

Digitisation has been promised before, but this time it does look like it will really happen. However personally I am not taking the deadline too seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast