evscha

Default New to the Forum

Greetings from Switzerland! I am an enthusiastic transcriber, currently volunteering with 2 genealogy websites, just typing in data from different sources, hoping my work will help other people in the future. My main reason for joining here is two fold: firstly, I am trying to help two of my friends who live in Switzerland to find their British relations who lived in India, more on this later, but the names are Linnion and Glassfield, and Brockman-More. I have found some information for them through the transcribing I do, but there are plenty of gaps still.
    The other reason is related to a guide book to the Lucknow residency I have written. I am researching the people who were present there at the time of the siege, mainly what became of them after the siege was over and am also searching for anything at all related to the Arnow family, as the story of Rebecca Arnow I have found to be particularly haunting. Though less relevant to this site, I am so also looking for any information about L.E.Ruutz Rees, a Swiss merchant caught in Lucknow in 1857.
    So that's all there is really about why I am here. Other than that, I am a something of a traveller, have lived in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh most of my life and recently decided to try my hand at writing, while living in the alps! I love reading, researching and above all, am always looking to learn something new, no matter what it is!

evscha

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am looking through the forum and getting my bearings, this is really quite a treasure trove!

Mutley

Welcome to the forum evscha, I am sure you will find lots here to keep you occupied.

We all help each other, I have Swiss ancestry, as do others, we may ask you a few questions.

A lot of members have access to UK sites that may help with your questions.

Ask away, if you are not sure where to place a question, don't worry, a moderator can always move you sideways, a County forum or General Family History may be a good place to start if you are unsure.

Good Luck.

Mutley

I am sorry to say I had to look up Lucknow on google, I found a fascinating article on Wikipedia.
    It seems a beautiful place.

As you said,
    am always looking to learn something new, no matter what it is!
    There was also a link to a book, on google, regarding L.E.R Rees,
    so I really enjoyed learning something new there, thanks.