weesie3

Default Plumley - possible Irish Travellers?

I have been told I have gypsy heritage for as long as I can remember. My grandfather was one of 7 children and didn't live in a house until he was 17. I always assumed the link was on my great-grandfathers side but it turns out he was from a well-to-do Scottish family. His wife, my grandfathers mother, on the other hand could be the 'missing link'. All I know about her is her name, estimated year of birth and that she was born in Cork. After that I hit a brick wall. I can't seem to find any Plumleys in the English OR Irish records.

How do I go about confirming/disproving that they were travellers?
    Last edited by weesie3; 12-10-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: more info

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by weesie3 View Post
    I can't seem to find any Plumleys in the English OR Irish records.
    The English 19th century censuses each have between 200 and 600 Plumleys listed. If you post your grandfather's mother's name and her estimated year of birth we may be able to start tracking her down - perhaps you could also tell us where you got that information from.

weesie3

Her name was Emily Plumley, born around 1911 in Cork. I got the info from my mums genesreunited tree. I have no idea how accurate it is. I seem to be spending a fortune on that site but not getting very far!

malcolm99

Thanks Weesie

From a tree on Ancestry I see there’s an Emily Plumley supposedly born 23 April 1911 in Cork. Married James Stafford Little in Bristol RD in September Quarter 1935. Emily died in Bristol January 1986 aged 74. [This seems to be wrong and she probably died in January 1996 aged 84].

I see that James Stafford Little appears to have been born in Bristol Registration District on 17 May 1903 and died in Bristol Dec Q 1969.

Apart from Emily’s place of birth, all these dates are confirmed by GRO records.

Does this match up with your mum’s tree?

PS Don't post any details about their children as they still seem to be living.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 12-10-2011 at 3:44 PM. Reason: revised James Stafford Little & added PS

malcolm99

Her name was Emily Plumley, born around 1911 in Cork.
    The Cork connection may well be right but I can't help noticing that there are a fair number of Plumley families in the North Somerset / Gloucestershire area in the 1911 census & so we shouldn't totally ignore the fact that Emily may have been born locally.

Do you have a copy of Emily's marriage certificate as this would give the name of her father?

malcolm99

I seem to be spending a fortune on that site but not getting very far!
    Interestingly there is an EMILY PLUMLEY born Bristol RD June Quarter 1911. She may be worth investigating before you spend anymore on other records!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello weesie 3
    I have no idea how accurate it is
    First rule of family research, always check the information you are given to satisfy yourself that it is correct! ( see post #4)

You need to start with your grandparents marriage certificate, which should give you the age of the parties and their respective fathers + witnesses who may be family members

As there is quite a bit on line about Romany folk try googling the surname...sometimes what is repeated as family lore isn't!

weesie3

Thank you so much. Yes, she did die in 96, not 86. I was born in 85 and remember writing a sympathy card to my granddad. Four of their seven children are still alive, my granddad passed away last April, just months short of his 70th birthday.

I've managed to get in touch with my aunt who is going to speak to one of my granddads cousins today. She used to live with Emily.

weesie3

[QUOTE=malcolm99;494138]Thanks Weesie

From a tree on Ancestry I see there’s an Emily Plumley supposedly born 23 April 1911 in Cork. Married James Stafford Little in Bristol RD in September Quarter 1935. Emily died in Bristol January 1986 aged 74. [This seems to be wrong and she probably died in January 1996 aged 84].

That's her! James Stafford is a family name, given to my great-grandfather, granddad and someone else

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

James Stafford LITTLE
    b 17/025/1903
    baptised 3/01/1912 Fishponds s/o Henry & Kate LITTLE
    died Dec 1969 Bristol

married q3 1935 Bristol

Emily PLUMLEY
    there is a birth that fits q2 1911 Bristol 6A 157
    died Jan 1996 aged 84

the 1911 census was taken oon 2 April 1911 ? days before Emily was born!

Unless you can identify her family on the 1911 census, irish travellers / hawekers romany et. you will need to obtain a copy of the 1935 marriage certificate.

GRO.gov.uk

I looked at the 1911 irish, there are no entries listed for PLUMLEY!
    Last edited by geneius; 13-10-2011 at 7:56 PM. Reason: add'l info