louann

Default Thrilled to find like minded..

I am an Australian, just found this site and yes, I'm thrilled to be able to share my enthusiasm of genealogy. My husband (bless his heart) does try to appear interested but the glazed eyes and long-suffering expression give him away as I regale him with new discoveries! This posting is all new to me but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Liane Hawes

Hi Louann

Oh I know the glazed look very well - hubby only takes an interest when I take him grave hunting - only because there is a promise of a pub lunch afterwards.

Have fun looking around the site and posting those queries when you are ready and all the good, friendly, intelligent (I don't include me on that one!!) will do their best to help.

Liane

josie7644

Quote Originally Posted by louann View Post
    My husband (bless his heart) does try to appear interested but the glazed eyes and long-suffering expression give him away as I regale him with new discoveries!
    Welcome louann!

Your quote above made me burst out laughing as it's exactly the same in our house!

Josie

deeree

Hello louann,

My husband says I can clear a room in seconds when I start to relate my latest wonderful discovery. You are among friends here.

The members of this site will be very interested to help, so just detail your requirements and watch the help flood in.

Best wishes,
    Desley

louann

Hi Liane
    lucky you - having your husband along and taking an interest - even if his motive is the pub meal. Must try it sometime! When we were kids Mum & Dad often took us for a wander around cemetaries when we were on holidays. We didn't think it at all strange but a few of my friends did! Maybe that's where my interest in history began
    Cheers
    Louann

louann

Dear Josie
    (love your name - I called my daughter that so I'm biased) I see by your post you are in Manchester. My gg grandfather James Foulds came from Manchester in the 1850's. Is that a common name there? I'm still trying to track down birth details etc. Do you have any suggestions or links where I could go? He was born about 1832 (according to his death certificate) to William and Ellen. Oh yes, apparently his first marriage was in England, had a child William in 1853ish then came out to Australia apparently by himself. Bit of a mystery. I'm not sure where to go.
    Thanks
    Louann

josie7644

Hello Louann,

Thanks for getting back to me! I like the name Josie, but I hate being called Josephine, which is my real name.

Regarding the name Foulds, I just had a look in the Phone Book for Foulds/Faulds in Manchester, but there are none!

Some good sites for searching are Find My Past, FreeCen, FreeReg, FreeBMD, Family Search, LancashireBMD, CheshireBMD and YorkshireBMD (which can all be Googled).

One I particularly like is the following one, where parish registers, in the Manchester and Salford area may be searched...

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...int%2F10931813

The only James Foulds I can find with parents William and Ellen was born in Halifax in 1831, but he seems to be there in 1861, so he isn’t yours! (The search continues!)

Best wishes,

Josie

louann

Dear Josie
    Thank you for all those sites to check - once again I'll probably surface, dazed, in an hour or so after checking them out, to find it dark outside!
    About that James Foulds you found still in England in 1861 - "my" James married in Australia in 1862 (according to a daughters birth certificate) but I have yet to find the marriage certificate or his emigration details. HIs first child to his 2nd wife was born in 1864. Information on his death certificate claims he had been in Australia for 40 years, but I've found incorrect details before! hmm. I shall search the Immigration Records again. Maybe the reason I hadn't found him was that I've been looking in the wrong years.
    Once again, thank you very much,
    Louann

Loves to help with queries

There are loads of Folds, Foulds in Lancashire round Accrington, Blackburn, but I don't know about distribution elsewhere, cicilysmith

louann

Dear Cicilysmith,
    thank you so much for that snippet of information - hopefully it will come in handy,
    Louann