Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: john langan

LANGO

Default john langan

Any information would be appreciated.John langan born 1858.Died 1919.Married to Margaret Cosgrove born 1860.Seven children.Thomas 1881.William 1882.Julia 1884.James 1886.Mary 1888.Margaret 1890.John T.Langan 1893.Died 1973.(My grandfather.)Married Ellen Mcgowan 8 March 1919. born 29 June 1894.They had seven children.One was my father John Langan born 31 December 1923.Died 10 February 2002.

Loves to help with queries

Hi Lango

you say 'any information' but you obviously have quite a lot already. So, to avoid us giving you lots of information you already have, can you make a specific request?

LANGO

Dear Sumi,Thank you for replying.I am new to all this and am not sure where I should be going.Great granddads occupation and where he was originally from and perhaps go back even further.Dad and grandad were from Birkenhead.

terrysfamily

Both CheshireBMD and FreeBMD have John Thomas’s wifes surname as MCKEOWN. Their 7 children are down as mothers maiden name McKeown too. Is this the English way of spelling Mcgowan? Or has it just been mistranscribed on the all the registers?

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1919
    Surname LANGAN
    Forename(s) John T
    Surname MCKEOWN
    Forename(s) Ellen
    Church / Register Office Birkenhead, Civil Marriage
    Registers At Reference Wirral

Marriages Mar 1919
    Langan John T McKeown Birkenhead 8a 903
    McKeown Ellen Langan Birkenhead 8a 903

Nicolina

If he was John T(homas) then this looks like him in 1861 except his place of birth is given as Oldham.
    RG09/3007/93 Page 12
    Henshaw Street, Oldham
    Michael LANGAN b. abt. 1832 in Ireland occ: Outdoor labourer
    Ann LANGAN b. abt. 1835 in Ireland occ: Cotton Factory Operative
    John Tho. LANGAN b. abt. 1856 in Oldham
    James LANGAN b. abt. 1857 in Oldham
    Bridget LANGAN b. abt. 1860 (5 months) in Oldham

a possible marriage:
    Sep 1853
    LANGAN Michael Oldham 8d 983

on same page:
    LYNCH Ann Oldham 8d 983

LANGO

Dear Terrysfamily,McKeown is correct.I Thank you for the reply.I am amazed.Can you throw any light on why the children are down as Mckeown?I have my dads marriage certificate and he is down as John Langan.

LANGO

Dear Nicolina,Sincere thanks for your work.I am totally new to all this and I am delighted with your efforts.I am mystified with RG09/3007/93 what does this mean and how could I gain access ?Can I find out Where in Ireland they come from?

LANGO

Dear Notanotherminer,I am now trying to find out about dads side of the family.I have had some fantastic responces already,but I haven't got a clue what all these numbers mean.Everyone seems to give them but it is not a language I am familiar with.

terrysfamily

Hi Lango, sorry I meant that their surname was LANGAN but their mother's surname is down as McKeown and not Mcgowan.

More to follow in a min.

Nicolina

RG09/3007/93 is the reference for the 1861 Census which can be access at several pay-to-view sites.
    As for where in Ireland they originated, that is not so easy to find out.

I have found the family in 1871 at Wood Street, St Mary, Oldham Below, (RG10/4095/14 Page 22) by which time Ann had died. It's also possible that Michael died between 1871 and 1881 as the children are scattered and I can find no sign of him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast