Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank W

Default Stordy Lane, Totternhoe

This is mentioned in the Census ED descriptions from 1851 to 1911 but I can't find it via Google search so far.
    Does anyone know whether it has been renamed, or whether it has been swept away by later land developments. It used to run from near the old Bell Inn in Church End and at the other end was followed by more Church End entries
    My guess is that it may have been absorbed into Doolittle Mill Lane, and lost its identity as a result.but so far no confirmation of this.
    Regards..........Frank W

Julie.Spavins

Hi Frank

I grew up in that area, and don't recall any street of that name (so thats from 1967 up to now!)

Could it be what is now Furlong Lane?

I don't believe there have ever been any pubs past the Church until you reach the village of Eaton Bray , Doolittle Lane starts outside Totternhoe and leads (suprisingly!) to Doolittle Farm, and no other dwellings I think in recent years at least.

The only pub currently in Totternhoe Church End is the "Old Farm Inn", I believe the Old Bell was either opposite or next door when I was a child - not that I frequented it mind you, far too young!

A Google search led to an entry for "Story Lane, Totternhoe" on the National Archives site, but sadly there were no entries behind it.

I'll be most interested if you find out, my childhood was spent cycling to school friends houses in that area.

Good luck!

Julie

Famous for offering help & advice

Totternhoe has a village website Totternhoe Online which could be worth contacting.

Alternatively Bedfordshire Archives may have old maps of the village.

Famous for offering help & advice

This page from Beds CC is fascinating (tho I haven't found your lane yet)
    https://www.
    bedfordshire.gov.uk/CommunityAndLiving/ArchivesAndRecordOffice/CommunityArchives/Totternhoe/TotternhoeIndexofPages.aspx

Jan1954

The National Archives has a list of what streets are covered in any registration district for the censuses. Under the Luton Registration District is the following entry for 1851:

Story Lane, Totternhoe, HO 107/1757, folio 10.

Perhaps if you look at the front page of that folio to follow the enumerator's route and take a virtual "walk" with a map in hand, you may find where it is today.

Reputation beyond repute

I imagine that all you need to do is to pay a visit to Bedfordshire Archives where they will almost certainly have a collection of 19/20th century large scale maps (1:1250 or whatever they're called today). Give them a bell before travelling.

Reputation beyond repute

19/20th century large scale maps (1:1250 or whatever they're called today)
    Come to think of it, they were probably 1:2500 in those days

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    This page from Beds CC is fascinating (tho I haven't found your lane yet)
    https://www.
    bedfordshire.gov.uk/CommunityAndLiving/ArchivesAndRecordOffice/CommunityArchives/Totternhoe/TotternhoeIndexofPages.aspx
    That was a good find, grisel. If you go to the 1829 survey shown there, then click to zoom in on the image labelled 'Church End in 1829', I think it says 'Stordy' on the far right of the image. I haven't worked out yet how this map relates to the present-day layout of the parish. There are some OS maps on the site too, which may help with the comparison.

Julie.Spavins

I've just looked at the 1829 survey map, what a good find.

The Church is on the bottom left, so the vertical road is Church Road. Using the plot numbers from the 1829 survey, the horizontal road leading to "Stordy" is most likely Wellhead Road.

Plot 41 is shown as "35 Wellhead Road", there is a road off there now called Ellesmere Close, could this be built on the old "Stordy Lane" ?

Julie.Spavins

Have a look at the Totternhoe Ordnance Survey Map of 1880, Church End, there is what could be a track running from "Bellclose House" to what I believe to be Wellhead Road - Could this be Stordy Lane?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast