Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frank W

Thanks to all for the interest and suggestions.

I have spoken to the Beds Archives and they have a good supply of local maps (unfortunately only accessible by a personal visit, which is not a practical possibility at present) The old maps which are available online are interesting, but dont show the street names,so need a bit of time to match with present day street names.The 1924 map shows Charity Farm which is where the 1911 Enumerator returned to Church Green after his travel along Stordy Lane.

Both the 1901 & 1911 Census forms show Stordy Lane having about 20-25 households, and some surnames are present in both Censuses Individuals' details are shown in 1901 but are incomplete in 1911 forms, though some can be found by searching on the GR site Hopefully it may be possible to track some to later year addresses via message boards or community websites,

I have posted an enquiry to the Totternhoe website re Stordy Lane and an initial suggestion is that Stordy Lane may be part of Wellhead Road, but this is not yet confirmed. (See Julie's suggestion also)
    Its possible that there maybe some local family knowledge on the Eaton Bray website also.

STORDY is apparently a surname in its own right, but whether there is any connection with Totternhoe is not apparent.

Regards.......Frank W

Jan1954

Thank you for the update, Fred. Living not a million miles from Totternhoe, I too am interested in how this pans out.

Frank W

Hi Jan
    I've now posted to the Eaton Bray website which has a Genealogy/History Forum and covers a wide area. Worth a look if you have family history interests in that general area of the Chilterns and Dunstable Downs.
    https://www.
    eatonbray.com/forums/genealogy/

Regards..........Frank W (now AKA Fred)

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Frank W View Post

Hi Jan
    I've now posted to the Eaton Bray website which has a Genealogy/History Forum and covers a wide area. Worth a look if you have family history interests in that general area of the Chilterns and Dunstable Downs.
    https://www.
    eatonbray.com/forums/genealogy/

Regards..........Frank W (now AKA Fred)
    Thank you, Frank . (Sorry about the faux pas - long week at work.....) Unfortunately, I am just 2nd generation from around these parts - the rest of my rabble coming mainly from the bottom right-hand corner of England, East Anglia and Ireland - but an interesting website all the same.

Frank W

Default Stordy Lane FOUND!

The Eaton Bray website has now located it (thanks to Tom & Harry)

It is now confirmed as being part of Wellhead Road and was identified by the surname of a resident previously listed at Stordy Lane. and later at Wellhead Road .

Additional points of recognition were the Enumerators walk in 1911 census, and comparing a modern Google map with the 1829 map on the Totternhoe website showed that the area marked Stordy in 1829 lies just south of the point where present day Wellhead Road bends to the southwest.

Currently Wellhead Road has 47 properties at the Church Road end, and is undeveloped for most of its length.

Thanks to all who have taken an interest in this

Regards...........Frank W

Frank W

Corrections:
    1. It is the Totternhoe images page on the Bedfordshire Records Office site where the 1829 map appears.
    https://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/Commu...20in%201829%20[BW1004].jpg# Church End in 1829 [BW1004]

2. The bend of Wellhead Road is to the southeast and not the southwest

Frank W

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Frank

Glad you found it and thanks for letting us know.

mags68

Having grown up in Totternhoe , & my mother working in the Old Bell , I do vaguely remember a gate to the end of the garden of the pub , which would lead along to Wellhead Rd , It still shows on the Google map . It defo is not Doolittle lane , as that is Classed Eaton bray not Totternhoe. Furlong lane does not start at The Old Bell either . Also all the properties down Wellhead are classed as Church end .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12