Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sulee

Default How did they fit them all in.

Could anyone explain how 3 families, fit into the same house?
    Re the thread about 1911 census I discovered that there were 6 adults. 6 teenagers and 5 little ones all sharing the same address 80 Tilson rd. Camberwell... Any ideas?

Brick wall demolition expert!

just in case anyone is wondering about the other thread, it is here.

It is possible that these were two or three story houses, possibly divided into separate flats or lodgings. I noticed that out of the 150 households enumerated for this street in 1911, the house numbers go from 3 to 106, with about 30 missing house numbers. This means there were approximately 150 households living in say 70 houses, so on average we have two households per house number.

Number 80 was certainly not the only address with three separate families; there were quite a few others - at numbers 78 and 82 for example. In fact, number 94 had four separate households, (I counted sixteen bodies in that house.) Your ancesters had it quite roomy in comparison.

Reputation beyond repute

Multi-occupation was normal in inner city working class areas.

The household return should show the number of rooms occupied

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Looking at the 1911 census returns, 2 of your relative families are living in one room, while the third family has four rooms.
    I would suggest the family with 4 rooms, is sub letting the other 2 rooms.

Steve.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Mr. ASHTON had 4 rooms
    Mr. RATHBONE had 1 room
    Mr. HUMPHREY had 1 room.

Note: this count of rooms could include a kitchen, but bathrooms, landings, closets, offices etc were not included.

Just out of interest, I had a look at number 70 which happened to have a single household listed. This family had the luxury of six rooms all to themselves. That should give you an idea of the size of the houses on that street.

sulee

I suppose that was the origin of "bed sitting rooms" one room to live. sleep and eat.
    Would they have shared communal space. kitchen, bathrooms etc. Would they have even had a bathroom?
    Is there a site that I can check out what this house may have been like?

Mutley

The nearest I can see on Google Maps (if I have the right one) is Pentridge Street. It runs parallel with Cronin Street which, back then was Cronin Road. It is south of St. George's Way between Southampton Way and Peckham Hill Street.

You can use street walk to take a look at the houses as they are now but they are all very modernish looking apartments and flats so it looks as if the area has been cleared and a new estate built.

In 1911 I doubt they would have had bathrooms and most often the kitchen was in just a corner of the living room. Often they all shared one sink, sometimes on a landing (if there was one) or in a little scullery out back. The toilet was probably out there also.

Coromandel

Tilson Road is marked on the Charles Booth 1898-99 "poverty map". It can be seen on this section of the map, and is easy to pick out because it is marked in dark blue down both sides (signifying 'Very poor. casual. chronic want.'). To judge from the modern map beneath, the area seems to have been completely redeveloped.

The accompanying poverty survey notebooks have a description of a 'Tilson Street', which I think may be the same:

'Tilson St: one of the streets of low repute on the section: by no means so poor as other parts, but a centre of drinking, and disorderliness. As we passed two neighbours were jangling, by way of sampling the street. Broken windows and signs of neglect frequent; houses 2 story [sic], flush with side-walk, the common, though not invariable feature of the poorer class of streets; many doors open; women and children generally untidy. Leave dark-blue, as map....

sulee

Thank you both.
    Well that doesn't sound like the kind of place "my" ancestors would live! [I would insert a happy face but I don't know how!]
    How dreadful. I hope it had improved between 1899-1911.
    What does
    As we passed two neighbours were jangling, by way of sampling the street.
    I remember my Grand parents later lived in Sumner road. Was that also in a poverty area?

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by sulee View Post
    Thank you both.
    Well that doesn't sound like the kind of place "my" ancestors would live! [I would insert a happy face but I don't know how!]
    How dreadful. I hope it had improved between 1899-1911.
    What does
    I remember my Grand parents later lived in Sumner road. Was that also in a poverty area?
    Jangling, I believe was chattering or nattering in other words talking to each other but I imagine they did it quite loudly with arms being waved and heads nodding and shaking.

Sumner Road was four roads to the east of Tilson Road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast