Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tuggybear

Default Still struggling with the Picks of Scalford a

Looks like we have quite a few break-ups/ common law erlationships/ name changes going on here so if anyone has any advice or information to share I'd be most grateful.

Thomas Pick B: 1835 in Scalford married Dorothy Smith B: 1837 Ibstock
    Thomas' parents were john Pick of Scalford and Mary Kilby of Scalford.
    Dorothy's father was Joseph Smith of Ibstock and, I believe, Dorothy ?? I assume dorothy had died by 1841 as Joseph was living in Ibstock with his children.
    Thomas and Dorothy appear to have separated by 1881 and two children I didn't know about appear in 1891
    Jane Ann Pick I have found in 1881 although I can't find out what happened to her and her husband Andrew Bagguley and their two children, Dorothy May B: 1893 Leicester and Walter Lionel B: 1897 after 1901 I know one of the girls committed suicide because she believed her husband to be having an affair but not sure which, only that it wasn't Lois Mary but could have been Jane who was also known as Ann.
    Albert Pick B: 1876 in Ibstock can't be found on the 1881 census and disappears after 1901. I can't find any birth record for Albert either.
    If anyone has any information on any of these people I'd really appreciate your help.
    thanks,
    June

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi June,

Quote Originally Posted by Tuggybear View Post
    Albert Pick B: 1876 in Ibstock can't be found on the 1881 census and disappears after 1901. I can't find any birth record for Albert either.
    Just as a start, here is a possible birth for Albert ...

Births Dec 1875 Mt.Bosworth 7a 72
    PICK Albert

In 1901 he was living in Leicester. (RG13/2986, f16, p23 ) This could be a death for him.

Death Dec 1902 Leicester 7A 103
    PICK, Albert
    Age 26

Thomas Pick B: 1835 in Scalford married Dorothy Smith B: 1837 Ibstock
    Some references for the family for others wishing to help.

1871: RG10; Piece: 3241; Folio: 57; Page: 17
    1881: RG10; Piece: 3241; Folio: 57; Page: 17
    1891: RG12; Piece: 2534; Folio: 56; Page 8

(Census crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Coromandel

Jane Ann Pick I have found in 1881 although I can't find out what happened to her and her husband Andrew Bagguley and their two children, Dorothy May B: 1893 Leicester and Walter Lionel B: 1897 after 1901
    Have you ruled out the 35 year old Jane Ann Bagguley whose death was registered in the Basford district in the second quarter of 1907?

Coromandel

Mr A. Bagguley, Miss D.M. Bagguley and Master W.L. Bagguley left London on 23 December 1909 on the 'Ruapehu'. Though the ship was bound eventually for New Zealand, the family's tickets were for Cape Town.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Mr A. Bagguley, Miss D.M. Bagguley and Master W.L. Bagguley left London on 23 December 1909 on the 'Ruapehu'. Though the ship was bound eventually for New Zealand, the family's tickets were for Cape Town.

It looks like the family stayed in South Africa. From NAAIRS, there is death notice concerning Andrew BAGGULEY in 1953 and it seems he married again. There are also notices for the children, Dorothy in 1945 and Walter in 1956.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

DESCRIPTION BAGGULEY, ANDREW
    STARTING 19530000
    ENDING 19530000
    REMARKS: SURVIVING SPOUSE LETTY BAGGULEY PREDECEASED SPOUSE JANE ANN BAGGULEY

DESCRIPTION HALL, DOROTHY MAY. BORN BAGGULEY
    STARTING 19450000
    ENDING 19450000
    REMARKS PREDECEASED SPOUSE ROBERT HUDSON HALL

DESCRIPTION BAGGULEY, WALTER LIONEL
    STARTING 19560000
    ENDING 19560000
    REMARKS SURVIVING SPOUSE ALEXANDRINA BAGGULEY

If you search the RSA database on NAAIRS you will find a couple of other references to the family under the surname BAGGULEY. There may be other references if you search using variations of this name.

(Please see NAAIRS for the full references for the above. Records are at the Transvaal Archive [now Gauteng] located in Pretoria. If you need any help locating the information above on NAAIRS, please ask.)

Tuggybear

Wow! Thanks for all that everyone. I did wonder if Andrew Bagguley had emigrated but wasn't too sure where to look. I will do some further research for them now.

I did think that my Jane Ann was the one who died but was not certain, however it does look like it was my Jane Ann so thanks again.

Also thanks for the details regarding Albert and the other picks, I'll do some more searching on them too.

You folk are amazing.

janbooth

From Leicestershire FHS Burial Index:

23 January 1905 at Scalford Thomas PICK of Scalford, aged 72
    30 June 1894 at Scalford Mary PICK of Scalford, aged 87

Mary & John PICK seem to be living apart in the 1861 census, she in Scalford and he in St Margaret Leicester. By the 1871 census of Scalford Mary is shown as a widow on a pension.

Janet

Tuggybear

Thanks for that Jane, I did find a gravestone for John's brother Richard but sadly nothing for John or Mary. I believe John remarried in Leicester around 1856-8 as he is shown on the 1871 census as married to Eliza (Vernon) adn they have a daughter named Catherine who was born in Wymeswold in 1858. I think I have found the marriage but can't trace Catherine at the moment.
    apparently, a very elderly resident of Scalford, who was involved in church events mapped out a complete list of everyone buried at St Egelwin's and the location of their graves but sadly it has been lost and there are no other complete records available.

Tuggybear

Default Thanks Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    From Leicestershire FHS Burial Index:

23 January 1905 at Scalford Thomas PICK of Scalford, aged 72
    30 June 1894 at Scalford Mary PICK of Scalford, aged 87

Mary & John PICK seem to be living apart in the 1861 census, she in Scalford and he in St Margaret Leicester. By the 1871 census of Scalford Mary is shown as a widow on a pension.

Janet
    Sorry Janet, I missed the letter T from your name in my last post. (I need a :blush: icon!) my colleague tells me I have dislexic fingers and I think he must be right.

Would you happen to have al ink to the Leicestershire FHS indexes please? I've searched online but can't find anything that takes me to the indexes at all. I have a few other family members I'd like to check out and can't find them on Family Search or Ancestry so thought maybe i could track them down on LFHS.
    Thanks again to you and everyone else for the help, it's very much appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    June

janbooth

June,

I purchased the Rutland & Leicestershire Burial Index on CD from Leicestershire FHS - mainly for my Rutland ancestors. You could look on their website to see what other Index CDs they produce or on The Parish Chest website to see what Leicestershire parish register CDs they have.

There is a burial record at Ibstock on 20 April 1837 of a Dorothy SMITH of Ibstock, aged 40 who sounds a likely candidate for Joseph's wife but I can't find a burial for Joseph at Ibstock on the Index. Joseph looks to have remarried sometime between 1841 & 51 as in the latter census he is living with a wife Mary at Ibstock. She would appear to have died prior to the 1861 census of Ibstock when Joseph is again described as a widower. IGI Family Search shows a baptism at Scalford on 17 August 1806 of a Mary KILBY, parents John & Ann KILBY, who sounds a likely candidate for the wife of John PICK.

HTH further

Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast