Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    You could look .......... on The Parish Chest website to see what Leicestershire parish register CDs they have.
    Parish Registers from A to M are here and N to Z are here.

Tuggybear

That sounds very much like my Dorothy's mum as her birth year was 1837. Dorothy snr possibly died in childbirth or shortly after then. Joseph did remarry and I presume that it was either just before or just after this that Dorothy was adopted by the Haynes. She appears to have been their only child but I haven't traced them other than on the one Leicester censsu where i found Dorothy listed as their adopted daughter.
    thanks again for the info regarding LFHS I will take a look at the CDs they have as I am unable to travel round to look at records at the moment due to family problems so buying CDs sounds like the best way for me to proceed.

ps, thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Tuggybear; 01-10-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: missed a post when replying

Tuggybear

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Mr A. Bagguley, Miss D.M. Bagguley and Master W.L. Bagguley left London on 23 December 1909 on the 'Ruapehu'. Though the ship was bound eventually for New Zealand, the family's tickets were for Cape Town.
    hi again, just wondering if you have a link for the passenger list as I can't find any lists for the Ruapehu although I've found loads of info about the ship itself. Just wanted to check about Andrew's brother and also the woman he married after Jane Ann died.
    Thanks

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuggybear View Post
    hi again, just wondering if you have a link for the passenger list as I can't find any lists for the Ruapehu although I've found loads of info about the ship itself.
    The pay/subscription site findmypast has this record but you may want to await Coromandel's response.

hJust wanted to check about Andrew's brother and also the woman he married after Jane Ann died.
    Thanks
    Bit lost with this question. Mr A Bagguley was the adult of the party while the master and the miss were children. What was the name of Andrew's brother?

A possiblility for Andrew's second marriage (although one then wonders if/when Letty travelled out to South Africa) ...

Marriages Jun 1909 Basford 7B 479
    BAGGULEY, Andrew
    PEARSON, Letty

SHEWARD, Harriet Elizabeth
    CAUNT, Herbert Gladstone

There is an incoming passenger list, from Durban to Southampton, arrival date 19 Dec 1927. It has Andrew BAGGALEY and Letty. You can view this on Ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post

Marriages Jun 1909 Basford 7B 479
    BAGGULEY, Andrew
    PEARSON, Letty

SHEWARD, Harriet Elizabeth
    CAUNT, Herbert Gladstone
    This is the correct marriage. I should have checked NAAIRS earlier.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    DESCRIPTION BAGGULEY, LETTY. BORN PEARSON.
    STARTING 19580000
    ENDING 19580000
    REMARKS PREDECEASED SPOUSE ANDREW BAGGULEY.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Coromandel

hi again, just wondering if you have a link for the passenger list as I can't find any lists for the Ruapehu although I've found loads of info about the ship itself.
    Sorry, I should have quoted my source. I found it on Findmypast (as olliecat guessed ). If you don't have a FMP subscription yourself you could see if your local library or archive has access.

Tuggybear

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the replies.

sorry olliecat, I should have been more specific with my last query. A Mr A Bagguley returned alone to England in 1905, that was before Jane Ann Died and I also found via NAAIRS that a Mr Alfred Bagguley was living in SA around the time that Andrew was there. Andrew had a brother named Alfred so wondered if the returning Mr A Bagguley was Alfred or Andrew or whether, as Jane Ann suspected, Andrew was having an affair and had gone to SA with Letty and then come back for the children after Jane Ann commited suicide.

Thanks for the information about your source Coromandel, I don't have a FMP account but will see if local library does though I will look into taking out a subscription as I still have one side of hubby's family to trace and both sides of mine so should get plenty of use from it. I'm just hoping to get the history from 1835 written up for Christmas for Mum-in-law as she's 89 this year and really doesn't want anything else.

Andrew had a brother named Alfred so wondered if the returning Mr A Bagguley was Alfred or Andrew or whether, as Jane Ann suspected, Andrew was having an affair and had gone to SA with Letty and then come back for the children after Jane Ann commited suicide.
    I did notice Alfred in the NAAIRS database and wondered if there was a connection. I think I’ll take a look at the passenger lists again.

I recall coming across a Letty BAGGULEY in the 1911 census working as a cook in a household in Nottingham; married one year and with one child. I wondered if this was Andrew's Letty and if she had remained behind temporarily to have the child. This is pure speculation of course, but I thought I should mention her.

RG14/20593 SN369

Do see if you can access the 1911 census through your local library so you can take a look.

I have not yet checked the earlier census to see if there is a Letty PEARSON that matches with this Letty BAGGULEY (who was born abt 1874 in Derbyshire Whittington Moor) to try to eliminate her, or not as the case may be. I'll have a think about your theory that Letty was in South Africa before 1909, since they appear to have married in the UK in 1909.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I'll have a think about your theory that Letty was in South Africa before 1909, since they appear to have married in the UK in 1909.
    There is a passenger list with Mr A BAGGULEY departing from Southampton to South Africa on 16 September 1911 to South Africa. Also listed were Mrs BAGGULEY and Mast BAGGULEY. Could Andrew have returned to fetch Letty? Can't really tell at this point!

You will find the record and some further details on findmypast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast