Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LilyAllenFan86

Default Montague Talbot Theatre Manager

I am looking for information on the three children of Montague Talbot the son of Captain George Talbot, they were Irish from a wealthy family Montague was a theatre manager in Ireland in his obituary in 'The Belfast News-Letter', it claims he was manager for 23yrs of the Belfast Theatre as well as the Newry and Derry Theatres during his life, he had married Emily Coote Bindon in Londonderry sometime around 1802, and had three children as it staes in his obituary a son named Francis who it says is his eldest and is a bachelor of good fortune living in private habits near London, a daughter named Miss C M Talbot who is married to a Sir D Forrest, who had for some time been the Admiral's secetary, and a younger son I believe is called Montague who in 1831 had been called to the bar but had apparently not been very interested in the profession he had followed his Father into the world of acting.
    Montague's wife Emily had also before she married been a successful actress so the obituary claims as had Montague Sr and was very popular for his comedic roles, if anyone has any info on the three children I would be very glad to hear them as I have been unable to do so.

Kind Regards
    Beth

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by LilyAllenFan86 View Post
    I am looking for information on the three children of Montague Talbot the son of Captain George Talbot,

....he had married Emily Coote Bindon in Londonderry sometime around 1802, and had three children as it staes in his obituary a son named Francis who it says is his eldest and is a bachelor of good fortune living in private habits near London, a daughter named Miss C M Talbot who is married to a Sir D Forrest, ....
    Beth, I'm confused with this. I've read Montague's obituary twice and it appears to say that Montague TALBOT was the second son of Captain George TALBOT. The other two children of the Captain were Francis, the first son and a daughter C. C. M. TALBOT who married Sir D. FORREST.
    (For example, see page 473 of "The Gentleman's magazine, Volume 149 By John Nichols" on Google Books.)

According to the newspaper report on his death in 1831, Montague was 58 when he died and his wife was Miss Emily BINDEN. To quote, ”He had two sons and covered themselves with the laurels in the Patriot Army of South America, where one of them still retains a high military rank and the other is advantageously settled in private life.) At home he left a widow and one daughter."
    (The Belfast News-Letter, Friday, April 29 1831)

The Dictionary of National Biography, Volumes 1-20, 22 also has a fair amount of information relating to Montague (background, career) and it mentions he had five children in total.

So could you clarify please? Do you want to find information on Captain George Talbot’s three children (Montague, Francis, C. M.) or Montague Talbot’s five children?

a daughter named Miss C M Talbot who is married to a Sir D Forrest, who had for some time been the Admiral's secetary
    Further to the above, this could be C. M. TALBOT ...

groom's name: Digory Forrest
    bride's name: Mary Talbot
    marriage date: 13 Nov 1783
    marriage place: Stoke Damerel, Devon, England
    (Source Family Search)

DEATHS
    On the 15th inst. at his residence, Louisa-terrace, Exmouth, aged 87, Sir Digory Forrest, knt, one of her Majesty's Justices of the Peace, for the county of Devon
    (The Standard, Friday, November 20, 1846; Issue 6952)

Note: Sir Digory FORREST of Exmouth, Devon left a will proved on 1 December 1846. Tis a long will and I've certainly not read it but his wife was recorded as Dame Mary FORREST.

Shall leave it there until you clarify which children you want, Montague's or the Captain's.

LilyAllenFan86

Sorry about the obituary I took it from the Belfast News-Letter and that gave me the impression when I read it that Francis etc were the children of Montague and not his siblings thank you for pointing this out to me, it is his and Emily's children that I need please.

Beth

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    "He had two sons and covered themselves with the laurels in the Patriot Army of South America, where one of them still retains a high military rank and the other is advantageously settled in private life.) At home he left a widow and one daughter."
    Some Irish Talbots, possibly Montague's sons?, are mentioned in Alfred Hasbrouck's Foreign legionaries in the liberation of Spanish South America (1969). From the snippets available on Google Books I can make out this bit:

'Talbot, George (Irish), captain, appointed lieutenant in 1822, captain in 1827, total service to the end of October, 1827, five years, nine months and twenty days. Served in the Boyacá Battalion in campaigns of Coro and in the East; severely wounded at siege of Puerto Cabeno; adjutant of the garrison of Caracas until transferred to the corps of Maracaibo. H. de S., XXIV, 118.'

The next line says 'Talbot, William (Irish), captain. S. & V., 612.'

The full book may well reveal more. Perhaps you could order a copy through your library?

Coromandel

It may pay off to peruse the PRONI catalogue at

https://
    applications.proni.gov.uk/LL_DCAL_PRONI_ECATNI/SearchPage.aspx

There are several results for a search for the phrase Montague Talbot, for example. One is a transcript of an indenture of 2 April 1833 involving George Talbot of Belfast, administrator of the estate of Montague Talbot. I haven't had time to read it in full, but it involves the Belfast Theatre. Montague's widow Emily is mentioned: she cannot have survived him long, for she had died by the date of this document (PRONI ref. D2646/2/10).

I don't think it states George's relationship to Montague & Emily: is he the son, back from South America? Or is he perhaps a brother?

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    I don't think it states George's relationship to Montague & Emily: is he the son, back from South America? Or is he perhaps a brother?
    I haven't read that page yet but there is also this record on PRONI dated 14 May 1832.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Account from James Thompson, the Royal Belfast Academical Institution to the Representatives of the late Montague Talbot for £4. 2. 1, the balance of an account for the tuition of George and William Talbot in Mathematics, 1817-20.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

So it seems that we may have two sons for Montague - so far anyway.

BTW:

There is a history of the Royal Belfast Academical Institution here...

www.
    rbai.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemi d=45

Jorge Talbot G

I think that I can help with anything my name is Jorge Gonzalez Talbot, I am the 5th generation of Talbot in Ecuador, from what I've read are right we know that two brothers came to fight the wars of independence in South America along Simon Bolivar, is known to be very young 18 to 20 years, fought in several battles, which was called William deciendo Bindon William Talbot, and the other was George Talbot Bindon, of the latter know that migrated south and settled in Argentina and there desencia there, within a few texts that keep us in the family knows that he had a sister, also know that when Colonel William Talbot Bindon liberating army retired back to arrange family affairs in Ireland, not if I can tell you a little history of my family. if I can write to

jorgetalbotg AT gmail DOT com
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 04-02-2012 at 9:53 PM. Reason: Disguised email address to prevent spammers.

I am looking for information on the three children of Montague Talbot the son of Captain George Talbot, they were Irish from a wealthy family Montague was a theatre manager in Ireland in his obituary in 'The Belfast News-Letter', it claims he was manager for 23yrs of the Belfast Theatre as well as the Newry and Derry Theatres during his life, he had married Emily Coote Bindon in Londonderry sometime around 1802, and had three children as it staes in his obituary a son named Francis who it says is his eldest and is a bachelor of good fortune living in private habits near London, a daughter named Miss C M Talbot who is married to a Sir D Forrest, who had for some time been the Admiral's secetary, and a younger son I believe is called Montague who in 1831 had been called to the bar but had apparently not been very interested in the profession he had followed his Father into the world of acting.
    Montague's wife Emily had also before she married been a successful actress so the obituary claims as had Montague Sr and was very popular for his comedic roles, if anyone has any info on the three children I would be very glad to hear them as I have been unable to do so.

Kind Regards
    Beth
    Hello: I could help in this search as I am direct family of Montague, Capt George Talbot, William Talbot, of Digory Forrest,
    you can send me e-mail at dftalbotATgmailDOTcom
    Last edited by christanel; 06-04-2022 at 1:35 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums dftalbot and for taking to the time to join and try to connect with LilyAllenFan86(Beth)
    This thread is pretty old and the original poster is no longer a member of BG which is indicated by the word 'guest" under their user name. This means we hold no information for them whatsoever so can't let them know about your post and attempt to connect.
    Who knows in the future someone else may be looking for information on this ancestor of yours and will see your email address and get in touch.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast