Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Josephine Allen Strong, Circus (ex Sheila H)

Just found this site. My grandmothers name was Josephine Allen Strong and she was named after a family member. I have photographs of the members of the circus and two silk programms advertising the circus

Jodifish, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. I have made your post into a thread of its own as it's more likely to attract attention than if it's attached to an old thread about other circus people.

Good luck!

Hi jodifish, welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.

Sorry, I'm not following your query or what information you are looking for.

What else can you tell us about Josephine, when and where was she born, is Strong her maiden name and if so who, when, where did she marry. Have you found her on any records? What's the significance of (ex Sheila H) Was Josephine in the circus if so when, what was her act and which circus?

I did find a birth, possible marriage and census returns for a Josephine Allen Strong but without more information, I don't know if it is the right person.

Please tell us all you know about Josephine and answer my questions which will help us to help you.
    Alma

From public trees on ancestry
    Josephine Allen Strong age 12 at school, born Morpeth Northumberland daughter of Louisa Allen Strong age 48, dressmaker born Birmingham. In 1901 Louisa is a widow and a dress and shoe maker.

Josephine Allen Strong married Raymond Tivey in 1924 in Shardlow Derbyshire. On the public tree her father is given as Robert Strong but no information at all and can't see a marriage for Lousia Allen and a Robert Strong even though in the 1911 census Louisa says she has been married 30 years. There is no husband with her in 1901 and 1911.

Ah just found a marriage of a Louisa Allen to an Edwin Hutchinson Smith in Morpeth reg dist June 1/4 1881. Then there is a marriage of a Louisa Smith to a Robert Strong in Newcastle on Tyne reg dist Sept 1/4 1890.

Josephine's wedding notice in the Derby Daily Telegraph 15 September 1924 says she is the daughter of Mrs and the late Mr. Allen Strong. A misunderstanding of her mother, Louisa's maiden name?
    Josephine born 24 Nov 1897 and Raymond Tivey born 30 May 1897 market gardener own account are in the 1939 register. Josephine unpaid domestic duties.

Do I have the correct Josephine Allen Strong and probably is the one almach also found.

That (ex Sheila H) is intriguing.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Do I have the correct Josephine Allen Strong and probably is the one almach also found.
    That's right, Christina, but I don't know if it's the right person as jodifish says " My grandmothers name was Josephine Allen Strong and she was named after a family member" So, is JAS born 1897 jodifish's grandmother, or is that the JAS jodifish's grandmother was named after? And who is Sheila H? and what's the significance of the circus?
    Alma

Hi Yes you have the correct Josephine. My aunt who is 94 says her mother Louisa was married three times. Louisa apparently was the daughter of Mary jane Allen and Frederick Allen who owned the Allen Excelsior Circus .Trying to find out more about them.Josephine had three brothers Fred and Alf who was my grandmas twin and moved to the Isle of Man

This is Josephine's second marriage to Robert Strong.

Robert Strong
    Marital status -Widowed
    Age -36
    Birth Date -1854
    Marriage Date - 6 Sep 1890
    Marriage Place - St Andrew, Newcastle, England
    Father - Robert Strong
    Spouse - Louisa Smith
    FHL Film Number - 1564922

First marriage
    Edwin Hutchinson Smith
    Marriage - 30 Jun 1881
    Marriage Place Morpeth, Northumberland, England
    Father - Hutchinson Smith
    Spouse - Louisa Allen
    FHL Film Number: 1469098

Note there is no father's name for Louisa nor a marital status. This may or may not be important.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Louisa born c1862 is consistent with her birth place of Birmingham on the 1901 and 1911 censuses. There is this birth registration on the GRO index
    Louisa Allen June 1/4 1863 registration district Birmingham vol 6d page 234
    There is no mother's maiden name recorded which usually indicates an illegitimate birth.

We need to find Louisa on the 1871/1881/1891 censuses.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

I have a memorial card which states Robert Donald Hutchinson Husband of Louisa Strong of Morpeth who was found drowned in the River Tyne on May 1906 aged 59 years

I have another memorial card for Mary Jane Allen Who died at Darlington 0n the 19 2 1874 aged 32 ,wife of Frederick Allen of the Allen excelsior circus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast