PatMac

Question New names being added

I am now adding some more names to my expanding list of family names from Durham:

PARKIN; HODGSON; PARNABY; HARDY.

The first two names are both of interest as "direct", since they are maternal lines in my immediate ancestry in Durham, and also because they keep cropping up with increasing regularity as "lateral" spouses in the latter part of the 19th century. Parnaby is also a direct line, connections with Staindrop area, and when going back another generation found an ancestress by the name of Ann Hardy, christened 1860 in Hamsterley.

Some other last names that have multiple connections with my Blackett family:
    Dowson, Lowson, Raine, Stephenson, Race.
    Last edited by PatMac; 28-02-2005 at 9:01 PM. Reason: Adding more names

Chalkie

I have similar names in My Farmer Tree back through Lowson, Siddle, Dowson etc.
    Please contact me on [email protected]

Dave Macrae

Does your family include any Thomas Dowson's, two of which were Tug Boat captains.

PatMac

Smile Dowson and tug boats

When and Where did your Dowson's live? I have one Thomas born 1841 in Copley, Durham, which I believe is inland on the River Wear. While there may well have been some Dowson branches closer to to Durham coast, the most popular occupations in Weardale seem to have been mining and farming, some folks did both.

You're welcome to take a look at my family web-site, though, at:
    www.tribalpages.com/tribes/peapod63, to see if any of our names match!

PatMac

To "Chalkie": have tried several times to contact you via the link in your message,, have not yet managed to do so. Would you mind sending me another link, so we can compare notes on the Lowsons, Dowsons and Siddles? Also, check the link in the message above to Dave Macrae. I just added about a month's worth of research to my "tribalpages" site. I generally do it on a monthly basis, it's easier to send the update as a GEDCOM, than to type in all the small details in two or more places!

Dave Macrae

My Dowson's were born in South Shields, Thomas in abt 1824, Thomas in 1847 and Thomas in 1875.

Chalkie

[email protected]
    that reads "chalkie'underscore'at'underscore'[email protected] om"

shodgson13

New to the site and tht explains my very late interest in your search. My Hodgson ancestors were from Durham and so far I have them in Staindrop Durham in 1750 to 1780 and then pick them up in Bishopwearmouth and Houghton Le Spring areas in the 1800s. I still live near Durham so if you need any of the archives searching (those not online) then let me know and I will look next time I am in Durham searching the archives for elusive ancestors!