Loves to help with queries Nightryder's Avatar

Default Finding Birth Records

My fathers eldest sister was born in Market Harborough, Leicester in Dec Qtr of 1914, I believe she is now deceased but as im not certain will not post her name,I know who she married in Surrey in 1941 but this is the only info I am certain of,Family lore tells me they went to South Africa where at least 4 sons were born & that she returned to England in the 1970's after the death of her husband & she was not back for very long when she also died ( I cannot find a death record). I have no idea where in South Africa they went too but would like to see if there are any birth records for any children,googling brings up that there is a 100 year embargo on South African
    birth records,if this is true, are there any online census records for this country, I havent as yet been able to find any.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Forgive me if I'm wrong MODS, but I think it okay to mention name of person born in 1914 as it's on GRO.
    Same should apply to marriage in Surrey in 1941.

Can you offer anything more? other than trying FreeBMD births against 1941 marriages (who has the time?)
    Help us to help you.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jan1954

Hi there,

Have you had a read of this sticky at the top of the South Africa forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hi there,

Have you had a read of this sticky at the top of the South Africa forum?
    The links in the sticky should help you. If her husband died in SA then you might be lucky and find a death notice for him on NAAIRS. If there is one then the online index might well name the surviving spouse, so even if you don't know her husband's name it is worth searching under hers.

The pay per view site Findmypast has passenger lists to South Africa which might help you pinpoint whether they went to the Cape, Transvaal or Natal. Similarly Ancestry has incoming passemger records which might pick up her return and give a UK address.

Edit: Just realised you must know her husband's name as you have the marriage
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids