Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    1851 Census. HO107; Piece: 2175; Folio: 914; Page: 35 (TNA Copyright)

Robert Cubbins 1815 Douglas, Isle of Man, Living Tranmere, Cheshire A master Slater & Plasterer
    Jane Cubbins 1815 March, Cambridgeshire, Wife
    Thomas Cubbins 1838 Tranmere, Cheshire, Son
    Robert Cubbins 1840 Tranmere, Cheshire, Son
    Ann Cubbins 1842 Tranmere, Cheshire, Daughter
    Elizabeth Cubbins 1844 Tranmere, Cheshire, Daughter
    John Cubbins 1848 Tranmere, Cheshire, Son
    Robert Cubbins 'now and for the last ten years residing and carrying on business as a Builder, Slater, and Plasterer, at Lower Tranmere, in the county of Chester, and during nearly two years of the same period, between June, 1856, and June, 1858, also carrying on the aforesaid business in Lawton-street, Liverpool' was insolvent in April 1859 according to this notice in the London Gazette:

www.
    london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22256/pages/1799/page.pdf

Lyn57

Hi Mutley
    Thank-you so much for the info. This does indeed seem to be them as we knew they were married in Liverpool.

Lyn57

Thomas and Eliza Cubbins had a large family 7or 8 children one of them John Cubbins born 1892 New Ferry Cheshire. How do I find out about the others? I really appreciate all your help and advice.

Coromandel

On the 1911 census Thomas & Eliza Cubbins were at 4 Esher Rd, New Ferry (civil parish of Lower Bebington). They said they had been married 30 years and had had 9 children, of whom 8 were still alive. Five of those children were with them at the time of the census, plus one 'atopted' daughter:

Thomas Cubbins, Head, 50, married, painter, born Tranmere Cheshire
    Eliza Cubbins, (Wief?), 50, b.Selby(?) Yorkshire
    Thomas Cubbins, son, 27, painter b. Rich(?) Ferry
    Alice? [no surname], daughter, 26 b. New(?) Ferry
    Edith [no surname] daughter, 21 (shown as married for 3 (or 5?) months (birthplace as previous?)
    John [no surname], son, 19, labourer (birthplace as previous?)
    Frederick [no surname] son 10 b. Rich(?) Ferry
    'Ethel atopted' [no surname, nothing in relationship column], 7 months, birthplace column blank

RG 14/21929, ED3, SN118
    Census returns Crown copyright, held by The National Archives

Coromandel

On the 1901 census Thomas's wife's name is shown as Eleanor, but perhaps the census enumerator had difficulty deciphering Thomas's handwriting on the schedule, as I did in 1911.

2 Brownlow Rd, Lower Bebington / New Ferry
    Thomas Cubbins, head, m(arried), 40, house painter, b. Tranmere Cheshire
    Eleanor ditto, wife, m(arried), 40, b. Selby Yorkshire
    Thomas ditto, son, s(ingle), 17, general labourer, b. New Ferry, Cheshire
    [next page]
    Alice Cubbins, daur, s, 16, b. New Ferry
    Emma ", daur, s, 15, b. New Ferry
    Eliza ", ", s, 12, "
    Edith ", ", s, 11, "
    Jack ", son, s, 9, "
    Fred ", son, s, 10 mo, "

RG 13/3383, f.48 page 22 and folio 49 page 23
    Census Crown copyright, held by TNA

There seems to have been a big gap between John/Jack (born about 1892) and Fred (born about 1900): it might be interesting to find out why.

Edit:
    From the 1891 census there is also a son Robert G. Cubbins born about 1882 Tranmere

RG 12/2874, f.79, p.10

Lyn57

Hi Mutley
    You have been amazing with all the information. It seems you were spot on with it all and quite right with Isle of Man connection. Mother-in law is absolutely delighted and I can't thank-you enough for all your help.
    Lyn57

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn57 View Post
    Thomas and Eliza Cubbins had a large family 7or 8 children one of them John Cubbins born 1892 New Ferry Cheshire. How do I find out about the others? I really appreciate all your help and advice.
    Coromandel has given you the 1911 and 1901 census. The rest of the work to find out about them is searching through births marriages,deaths and other census. It can be a long trawl back.

But glad we have helped Mother-in-Law.
    Good Luck.

Lyn57

Hi Mutely
    May I ask you a question. You were so helpful in putting me on the right track of the Cubbins family afew days ago. I have now found all the marriages for the the offspring of Thomas and Eliza Cubbins and the family are truly delighted. However, it seems that about 18 months ago you managed to help someone searching for the same family and her name on here was barbie. How would I go about trying to contact her via this sight as she is related to my mother-in law and they have never met.
    Many thanks once again for all your help.
    Lyn57

Lyn57

Hi Mutely
    Thank-you once again for your help. I have contacted Barbie and hopefully she will reply.
    Lyn57

Mutley

Thanks Graham

You can also click on Barbie here and look at her profile. There is a MSN instant message link that you could try if she does not respond to your PM.
    Best of Luck Lyn, I do hope you can make contact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12