DianaCanada

Default Look-up Help in Stockport?

Wonder if anyone has access to the records for St. Mary's, Stockport and would be willing to do a look-up. Am willing to reciprocate if I can.

The marriage took place at St. Mary's, 12 Sep 1841, John Atherton married Jane Hewitt. I found the parental details on FamilySearch but I would like to know - John's father's status (if deceased or not stated) and his occupation - his name was also John. Also addresses of the marrying parties and any witnesses.
    This couple seemed to have had a child (Harriet) in Salford, Lancs in 1840 and were living together in Hulme, Lancs. in 1841 and am pretty sure it is the same couple as a later child Thomas Francis, born in Hulme lists Jane Hewitt as his mother (Lancashire OnLine Parish records) on his baptism.

Any help appreciated.

Diana.

Jan1954

Hi Diana,

The best place to find this information - such as the addresses of the bride and groom, witness details etc - would be from the certificate itself: Stockport district, September quarter 1841, volume 19, page 217.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

You could always try e-mailing Stockport Heritage Library with your request and they may well do a look up for you at no charge. I e-mailed them stating what I was looking for and even though they could not answer my query they did take time to do some Census looks up which I hadn't asked for. The lady said in her reply that they will give half an hour searching free. They will need as much info as you can give.

The e-mail address is

[email protected]

Emeltee

DianaCanada

Thank you for the suggestion. Must say I was hoping to save the cost on buying a certificate - there are so many I want! I found John Atherton and wife Jane living next door to my ancestors John Feay and Jane (Atherton) Feay in 1841 and wondered if John might be Jane's son - she was 28 or 29 when she married in 1819 and the marriage record did not record her marital status. So very curious to see who the witnesses are.
    Last edited by DianaCanada; 17-10-2011 at 7:59 PM. Reason: adding information

Gill Hart

Diana,
    The marriage certificate states that both John and Jane were 'of full age' and previously unmarried.

John was a bachelor, occupation was Carter and he was living at Duke Street, Stockport. His father was also called John and was a Mechanic (not stated as being deceased).

Jane was also living in Duke Street and her father was James, a Domestic Servant.

John signed the register and Jane made her mark. The witnesses were John Lowry and William (it looks like Srurggs but it's very hard to read.) Btw John Lowry was also a witness at the next marriage on the page so he may not be linked to the family.

Gill

DianaCanada

Thanks very much Gill for this information! John for his father suits me fine - doesn't quite prove anything definitely but I will keep plugging away. I have a marriage in Liverpool for a John Atherton and Jane Fisher (think it was 1810) that would work well for my ancestor Jane Atherton who married John Feay in 1818. Jane was born in Liverpool. There is a Lydia Atherton (m. Kilgour) b. Liverpool, hovering around Jane in Manchester too who could easily be a daughter.

DianaCanada

After going through census records and FamilySearch I think I have to eliminate John Atherton b. ca 1816 Altrincham, Cheshire as related to his next door neighbour Jane Atherton Feay in 1841 in Hulme. Also living in Hulme is a couple John and Margaret, John is a mechanic and they are old enough to be John's parents. FamilySearch reveals a John born to a couple with the same names in Altrincham at the right time, so I think they are John who married in Stockport's parents.
    Again thanks for your help!