Lynda Cunningham

Smile 1851 Census look-up please, and Maritime query ?

Hi

I would appreciate some help
    I'm looking for John Russell on the 1851.
    He should be 24yrs.

I have him on the 1861 at
    No 6 Longcroft Street(South Side)
    Southampton (Parish St Mary)
    details:- John Russell/Head/Married/34/Master Mariner/Hants,Southampton
    Jane Taylor Russell/Wife/32/Dorset,Poole

I was also wondering if there are any Maritime records where I might locate him?

Thank you
    Lynda

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Cunningham
    John Russell/Head/Married/34/Master Mariner/Hants,Southampton
    I was also wondering if there are any Maritime records where I might locate him
    There should be a few records to assist you, best place to start is The National Archives, Kew. Have a look at their research guides to see what is available:
    https://www.catalogue.nationalarchive...uidesindex.asp
    (click on 'M' and then select the appropriate links under Merchant Navy)

Geoffers

Lynda Cunningham

Dear Geoffers

Thank you so much for responding so quickly.

I will check that link as soon as I've finished this posting.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've sooooo much to learn.
    So a Master Mariner would be on a merchant ship, as oppossed to Navy?

Best wishes
    Lynda

PS. Yuor tpynig lokos OK to me

AnnB

Hello Lynda

I think this is a fair definition of a Master Mariner - sorry, but I can't remember where I got it from

Master Mariner is the official title of someone qualified to command a ship; the qualification is colloquially called a "Master's Ticket". The term was introduced in the mid 19th century, and is usually held by the chief officer/first mate as well as the captain. This term was in use in England from at least the 13th century. The captain of a merchant vessel is also called the Master of that ship.

Best wishes
    Ann

Lynda Cunningham

Thumbs up

Hello Ann

Thanks very much for the definition.
    That's great

Best wishes
    Lynda

Geoffers

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've sooooo much to learn. So a Master Mariner would be on a merchant ship, as oppossed to Navy?.
    Yes, Merchant marine. If he continued working as a Master Mariner past 1857, he should appear in the annual 'Mercantile Navy List' some copies of which might be found at larger reference libraries.

Yuor tpynig lokos OK to me
    Spank you - curses, there it goes again - thank you

Geoffers

Lynda Cunningham

Geoffers

More good stuff, thanks again

Lynda

dunamis

Default John Russell, master mariner

Hi

Could you please send me details of your John Russell, Master Mariner? I have a Henry Jackson Russell who immigrated to Australia abt 1875. On his death certificate it states that he was born in Kent abt 1859 (age is iffy and could be later as he eloped) and his parents were John Russell (master mariner) and Ann Rawlings. If Ann died, he could have remarried. You can see how desperate I am getting. Ever so slight chance that your John could be grandfather

Finding any information on this family has been very difficult. They left a very light imprint on the earth. So if they match, or are likely to be related, I'd be very grateful for any information.

Thank you[/FONT]Margaret[/FONT]

dunamis

Default Sorry to take so long to reply.

Henry was married To Evelyn Yeaman in Australia in 1883. He came out as an apprentice seaman in 1875 and jumped ship. His father John Russell married Ann Rawlings in 1848 in Rotherhithe. John appears to have not been on land for census night. He's shown at sea and born in Dorking Surrey, father Edward - coachman. Ann's father was John - a "gardiner". None of his many children were names John or Ann. Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by dunamis View Post
    Hi

Could you please send me details of your John Russell, Master Mariner? I have a Henry Jackson Russell who immigrated to Australia abt 1875. On his death certificate it states that he was born in Kent abt 1859 (age is iffy and could be later as he eloped) and his parents were John Russell (master mariner) and Ann Rawlings. If Ann died, he could have remarried. You can see how desperate I am getting. Ever so slight chance that your John could be grandfather

Finding any information on this family has been very difficult. They left a very light imprint on the earth. So if they match, or are likely to be related, I'd be very grateful for any information.

Thank you[/FONT]Margaret[/FONT]