Thread: 1911 census

LyndaM

Question 1911 census

I am looking for John Sydney Holmes service number 203521, on 1911 census. He was born 1883 in Portsea Hampshire. In 1901 he is serving on HMS Prince George in Gibralter Bay.

His naval records seem to show he is serving on HMS Liverpool in 1911 but there are some things crossed out and he doesn't seem to come up on the 1911 census. What am I doing wrong?

Mutley

Do you know if he was married?
    Although he may have been serving on HMS Liverpool,
    on the night of the census he might have been on leave or ashore for some reason and not listed on a vessel.

He may have gone home to see wife, parents, family or even staying in a local pub.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Are his naval records online on Ancestry or FMP? Or can you post the relevant section on somewhere like Photobucket so that we can see if we can pick up any clues?
    I wasn't having any success searching anywhere and everywhere for him in 1911.
    Pam

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Are his naval records online on Ancestry or FMP? Or can you post the relevant section on somewhere like Photobucket so that we can see if we can pick up any clues?
    I wasn't having any success searching anywhere and everywhere for him in 1911.
    Pam
    I agree Pam,
    I tried to find out where HMS Liverpool actually was on 2 Aprill 1911 but not much joy.
    It was built by Vickers and launched on 30th October 1909 but not completed until October 1910. I also found some wonderful pictures for sale but nothing that gave me a clue to her whereabouts until 1914.
    (Of course, there was more than one HMS Liverpool built.)

On the 1911, I searched in the advance section for a vessel with a John on board born Hampshire in 1883 +/- 3 years and there were only 5 returns, not one was anything like a Holmes surname. I tried several other variations.

I also tried everything I could think of to see if he was ashore but again nothing.
    I would like to see the service record as well, I could not find it on Ancestry or FMP.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I would like to see the service record as well, I could not find it on Ancestry or FMP.
    It's here, so LyndaM will need to get it up on a website (as suggested above) if she would like anyone else to look at it.

Mutley

I thought as much. Thanks Kerrywood.
    He is easily found in 1901 but I do think we need to see his record before we can move on to 1911.

Reputation beyond repute

I tried to find out where HMS Liverpool actually was on 2 Aprill 1911 but not much joy.
    Its location can be found from the ship's log. The National Archives; ADM 53/23222

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=0

The questioner would seem to be closer to Kew than Mutley!

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Its location can be found from the ship's log. The National Archives; ADM 53/23222

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=0

The questioner would seem to be closer to Kew than Mutley!
    Thanks Peter, Now where did that broomstick go?

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Was he a Stoker? There is a 28 year old John Holmes, a RN Stoker, but the PoB is Honiton Clist. Is your John the one at the Coast Guard Station at Daddy Hole near Torquay in 1891?
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Was he a Stoker? There is a 28 year old John Holmes, a RN Stoker, but the PoB is Honiton Clist. Is your John the one at the Coast Guard Station at Daddy Hole near Torquay in 1891?
    Sorry, false alarm. There is a Service Record for John Holmes born 29th July 1883 at Ottery St Mary, quite near Clyst Honiton. The Liverpool was at the Spithead revue in June 1911.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan