Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    anedw

Default 58 th Regiment Foot. c 1800 - 1820

Hello.
    I have a Randolph Crewe , this is his burial
    Burial Hawarden 1821 April 21st
    Randulph Crewe, Gent. Capt of 58th Regt Foot, and son of the late Rev R Crewe of this parish.
    Abode King Street Chester.
    Approx 34 when he died.
    He was married to a Sarah, and had 4 children bapt between 1817 and 1822 ? but I can find no trace of the marriage.

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...s/462/page.pdf
    C 1810 Lieutenant Randoph Crewe to be Captain of a company by purchase vice Campell.
    I don`t know if this is him, but what does `by purchase` mean.

https://www.
    ebooksread.com/authors-eng/george-alfred-raikes/historical-records-of-the-first-regiment-of-militia--or-third-west-york-light--hci/page-19-historical-records-of-the-first-regiment-of-militia--or-third-west-york-light--hci.shtml

Randolph Crewe 6th March, 1800 Resigned 24th December, 1801

Can anyone help me with this ,first of all I don’t know if it`s the same man, there were many with that name around at that time.
    I can`t find much on the 58th Foot, so any information on that would be a help.
    He was born in Hawarden, Flintshire to a very prominent family

Any help will be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 13-08-2011 at 4:49 PM. Reason: removed direct link to site with advertising - please read our Terms of Service

Reputation beyond repute

I don`t know if this is him, but what does `by purchase` mean.
    The standard method of obtaining a commission was by purchasing it. See this Research Guide for more and information on how to research this. Also this Guide advises how to research officers' service records.

Coromandel

There's a will for a Randulph Crewe, Captain, 58th Regiment, in the database of Cheshire wills here:

https://
    archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/RecordOfficeWillEPayments/search.aspx

The only snag is that the date (of probate?) was 1857, some 36 years after your Randulph died. It could be a different man in the same regiment . . . but sometimes there were great delays in dealing with wills so it could be the same man. If it is, the will may help you identify his wife, for it may mention some of her relatives.

You can order a copy through the above website, for £4 (plus postage).

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

This is the deployment of the 58th, they appear to have served oversea for much of this period.

1798 England
    1798 Gibraltar
    1798.11 Minorca
    1800 Malta
    1801 Egypt
    1802 Ireland
    1803 Channel Islands: Jersey
    1804.08.28 1st Battalion, 58th Regiment of Foot redesignated on formation of 2nd Battalion
    1805 England
    1805 Gibraltar
    1805 Malta
    1805 Sicily
    1806 Italy
    1808 Sicily
    1808.09.03 at sea (embarked at Melazzo)
    1808.09.07 Italy: Damietta (det)
    1808.09.08 at sea
    1808.09.14 Sicily: Melazzo
    1808 Sicily
    1812 Peninsular war: east coast
    1812 American war: Canadian frontier Power Bde
    1815 Netherlands
    1815 Ireland
    1815.12 58th Regiment of Foot redesignated on disbandment of 2nd Battalion and absorbed its personnel)
    1816 Jamaica
    1822 England

2nd Battalion

1804.08.28 2nd Battalion, 58th Regiment of Foot raised in Ireland
    1804 Ireland
    1804 Channel Islands: Jersey
    1809 England
    1809 Portugal Lisbon Garrison
    1812.04.02 Peninsular war B Bde, 1 Div
    1812.07 Peninsular war B Bde, 5 Div
    1812.12.06 four coys amalgamated with 2nd Bn, 24th Foot, to form 3rd Provisional Battalion, while six cadre coys went home to re-form
    1813 England (6 coys)
    1814.05? bn reunited on break-up of 3rd Prov Bn
    1815 Ireland
    1815.12 disbanded in Ireland (personnel to 1st Battalion)

Keith

anedw

1815 Ireland
    1815.12 58th Regiment of Foot redesignated on disbandment of 2nd Battalion and absorbed its personnel)
    1816 Jamaica
    1822 England

So it’s possible they married during this time maybe in Ireland, and as all the children were born at the same address, King St, where he died, then Randolph was home from 1817 – 1822, I’m sure he didn`t pop back from Jamaica every year to visit Sarah.
    I did try to `google` 58th foot, but didn`t really find much, were they connected to a particular county ?

I did see the will before, but wasn`t sure about it, it was only yesterday I found the burial details , I’m sure it’s the same man. Time will tell, ( no pun intended ! )

This is quite an interesting search, and seems to be a case of riches to rags in one case.
    One child died aged 4 days.
    The eldest son ended up in Sydney, and his burial details also give details of his fathers Regiment number and even his grandfather being the Rev Crewe of Hawarden, so obviously he knew of his past.
    The son and daughter seemed not to have fared so well, both being lodgers with a Birmingham shoemaker in 1841. However he did state his father was a `gentleman` which is how I’ve managed to trace him back. By 1851 son is a gun filer, having married a girl whose father had the same trade / job.
    I`m wondering if there was an issue with the will ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by anedw View Post
    I did try to `google` 58th foot, but didn`t really find much, were they connected to a particular county ?
    This is the standard site for basic details (now available only via a cache)

web.archive.org/web/20080109015848/https://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/058-757.htm

For deployment (as posted above), go to History > Regulars > 1st battalion.

Hello

have a look at books.google.co.uk there is quite a bit of information about the CREWE family

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=b...intshire&btnG=

A memoir of Hawarden Parish Flintshire 1822

To end this controversy it was agreed by the two Rectors, the Rev. R. Crewe, and the Rev. Thomas Maddock, 1807, to meet upon the spot, and to settle the line of boundary, viz. from Blacon Point to the stones in the garden by the River ...

Look at Crockfords Directory for information on Vicars.......

I have done a google.co.uk search of the family name(s) given time and patience I think you will find the answers you need are in the family bibliography's

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Have just looked at the Army List for 1818, they have Randolph Crewe, Captain on half pay (semi-retirement) from 25th Feb. 1816. so could have stayed in Ireland and not left with the 58th for Jamaica.

Reputation beyond repute

There was no pension for officers at that time. Half pay was the substitute for a retirement pension. They were theoretically available for future service with the emphasis on 'theoretically'.

There is extensive information about this on another Family History Forum R**t***t

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast