toff

Smile Researching the Black Country

Hello everyone!

Although in exile in Wales for the last 25 years (lovely place) all my ancestors are from the Black Country. I've been researching them for about 4 years and, with a lot of help from my brother, have gathered quite a bit of information. My grandad, who died 13 years before I was born, is the current focus of my research and I recently spent a very interesting morning in the Postal and Archive Museum in London, finding out previously unknown information!

I have only just stumbled on this website and it seems a friendly place so I'll try and find my way over to the "asking questions" place and try my luck!

Toff

LittleSpark

Hi Toff and welcome to Brit-Gen, a great forum as you will find out.

I come from Dudley in the heart of The Black Country so may be able to help with some of your queries (says she wih fingers crossed)

Good luck with your research

Sheila

toff

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! I'm certainly looking forward to spending time on here - there seems plenty to read and digest (who wants to do housework, anyway?) and hopefully find ways to begin to unravel some family mysteries. Hello Sheila! Looking forward to sharing info with you. My main area of research is Netherton with family names of Pearson, Price, Brookes and Morris. I guess you've spent some time at the archives in Coseley (my hometown). Mount Pleasant School was my school!

LittleSpark

Hi Toff,
    Yes spent many hours at Archives trawling through the Parish Registers page by page - my family come from Netherton too but unfortunately not the names you're researching.
    Dudley Council are in the process of moving Dudley Archives (within the next 2 years) and there's talk that Mount Pleasant School will be knocked down and replaced with houses......such a pity! You can imagine the Coseley people are not very happy about it. as they've already lost the swimming baths.

If I can help in any way just let me know and I'll be happy to look at entries at Archives for you.

Sheila