jmcc1938

Cool Is there any McClurg's out there

[I was wondering How many McClurg's Are in the British Isle's and Ireland not many they all seem to be in
    America,Im sure some one will help us out,with the answer[/B]

josie7644

There are just 4 in 1861; 18 in 1871; 12 in 1881; 38 in 1891 and 59 of them in the 1901 and 1911 census returns!

Maybe they came from Ireland just before 1861 and emigrated (from here) to the US after 1871!

Haven't checked any recent telephone directories, though!

Jan1954

Hello James,

If you visit the BMD website FreeBMD and put the name McClurg in the surname box, you will be able to search for all of those whose birth, marriage or death registrations have been recorded by them. I have just taken a look and the earliest birth registered with that surname is in 1866. They seem to be mainly in the north of England with just a smattering in the southern counties. With the name beginning with Mc, this indicates that there will probably be one heck of a lot more in Scotland and Ireland - FreeBMD just covers England and Wales.

jmcc1938

Thanks for the info on the McClurg's Josie 7644

jmcc1938

Hello Jan,
    sorry to say there is not a lot in Ireland,and we are all in the north,I might have a look in Scotland thanks for your input
    Reguards James

austinward

I agree with you not many, I've looked. My wifes mother was a Mcclurg from the Dumfries area.

Firstly, remember that name spelling was a very fuzzy thing pre-ww1.
    The "bible" of scottish genealogy, Black's Surnames of Scotland, says of Maclurg, MaCluirg in gaelic, that it's derived from "lurg", a footman. One of the earliest entries is 1296 of the country of Are (Ayr), another was Andrew Maclurc who held land in St Andrews (Fife) in 1476. There are others listed, one of the most colourful beiing John McLurg who issued a seditious gazette from his coffeehouse in Edinburgh in 1681.Other spellings Black suggests are McLurgg, McLurge, McLurc (where Mc/Mac are interchangeable). I'd also include Maclarg and Maclerg.
    Obviously, while the name was never widespread, it's an old Highland name.
    There's no listing for it on any of the clan listings, but I note that MacLean has a sept called McLergan (based in Islay) which might overlap.