Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    garynd

Default DOUGLAS family, Northants

Hello everybody. This is my first post.
    Been working my roots for a little while now and have traced some of my family back to the era of Blackadder III. The most frustrating line though is my own : Douglas. I have a definite ID on my ggggrandfather, John Douglas(1805-1887), a sketchy ID on his father Samuel. Both lived in Culworth, Northamptonshire. The problem is that there were other Douglas's living in Northants at the time but I cannot find a definite link to my family; I feel that if I could establish that link I could trace my own line further back. Anybody out there know anything about the Northamptonshire Douglas's, or any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Gary.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by garynd View Post
    Hello everybody. This is my first post.
    Been working my roots for a little while now and have traced some of my family back to the era of Blackadder III. The most frustrating line though is my own : Douglas. I have a definite ID on my ggggrandfather, John Douglas(1805-1887), a sketchy ID on his father Samuel. Both lived in Culworth, Northamptonshire. The problem is that there were other Douglas's living in Northants at the time but I cannot find a definite link to my family; I feel that if I could establish that link I could trace my own line further back. Anybody out there know anything about the Northamptonshire Douglas's, or any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Gary.
    HI Gary
    Can I ask how you have a definate id on JOhn/
    Do you have one of the childrens birth records to confirm his wifes maiden name?

There is a tree on Anc which seems to have a little info

John Douglas-Ann Talbot married 1830 Morton Pinkney Northamptonshire England
    Parents Samuel Douglas brn 1759 Culworth married Ann Makepeace 1796 Thorpe Mandeville Northamptonshire

This may be your tree? If not you could contact the owner and find out where the info has come from and if it is confirmed.

janbooth

All the census records show John DOUGLAS to have been born c1805 at Culworth and wife Ann at Moreton Pinkney. Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1700-1837 shows John DOUGLAS of Culworth, bachelor, to have married Ann TALBOT of the parish, spinster, at Moreton Pinkney on 6 June 1830.

FreeREG have several DOUGLAS baptisms at Culworth but none for a John although the baptisms are supposed to be complete from 1563-1852. There is an Elizabeth born 5 August 1797, William born 26 March and baptised 7 April 1799, SAMUEL born 24 Dec 1800 baptised in May 1801 and George baptised 3 July 1809 all with parents Samuel & Ann but there does seem to be a big gap between Samuel's baptism and that of George. The only marriage on the Index that seems to fit is one at Thorpe Mandeville on 13 October 1796 of Samuel DOUGLAS and Ann MAKEPEACE.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 15-09-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    All the census records show John DOUGLAS to have been born c1805 at Culworth and wife Ann at Moreton Pinkney. Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1700-1837 shows John DOUGLAS of Culworth, bachelor, to have married Ann TALBOT of the parish, spinster, at Moreton Pinkney on 6 June 1830.

FreeREG have several DOUGLAS baptisms at Culworth but none for a John although the baptisms are supposed to be complete from 1563-1852. There is an Elizabeth born 5 August 1797, William born 26 March and baptised 7 April 1799, SAMUEL born 24 Dec 1800 baptised in May 1801 and George baptised 3 July 1809 all with parents Samuel & Ann but there does seem to be a big gap between Samuel's baptism and that of George. The only marriage on the Index that seems to fit is one at Thorpe Mandeville on 13 October 1796 of Samuel DOUGLAS and Ann MAKEPEACE.

Janet
    That info fits with the info on the tree I looked at on Anc.....see #2 so if this is not your tree you should contact the owner

garynd

Hello Janet;

Thanks for your help. John was baptised 15 5 1805, but his surname was given as DOUGLASS, an admin error I presume !

Thanks also for the info on the marriage of Samuel and Ann; I have not been able to find that online, is it exclusive to the Northants Register ?

Gary

janbooth

It is a CD available to purchase online but I don't think I am allowed to advertise the site on the Forum. If you google Northamptonshire Marriage Index you should be able to find where you can purchase it. If not, send me a private message and I will reply.

Janet

garynd

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding John, a cousin of mine, coincidentally living Down Under, has the documentary proof that he was our ancestor, but he, like me, brickwalls at Samuel, although FreeREG suggests that his father was one George Douglas of Culworth. The various Douglas's of C18th Northamptonshire may be unrelated, but as the several villages that they are associated with are only a matter of miles apart that seems unlikely. This brickwall is particularly frustrating because the Douglas's of C15th and C16th Scotland/Northern England are quite famous and well documented, including nobility. I, however, am beginning to suspect that the only link between C18th labourers and C15th earls is a fairly common surname !

Regards
    Gary

janbooth

Gary,

There is an Ann DOUGLASS still alive in the 1851 census of Culworth (HO107/1735, folio 394, page 18). She is shown as aged 84, a widow, born Middleton, lodging with a Thomas & Susanna PETTIFER. Could this be Samuel's widow? 1841 census of Culworth (HO107/804/6, folio 14, page 21) also shows Ann DUGLISS in Culworth, aged 75, living with Thomas & Susanna only one house away from George DUGLISS, aged 30, and his family - presumably the son of John & Ann??

Looking at the baptisms on FreeREG for the children of George & Ann DOUGLAS, the first one appears to be a daughter Mary born 3 Dec 1755. There is a marriage on the Index at Chacombe (v close to Culworth) on 2 Apr 1755 of a George DOUGLAS of the parish to an Ann PITTOM of the parish which sounds very likely. But there George's trail seems to end. However, if he did come from Chacombe that would explain the lack of records on FreeREG, as none of Chacombe's registers have been transcribed yet for FreeREG. That might be your next avenue for exploration.

Janet

garynd

Jane
    Thanks for the info re. George DOUGLAS/Ann PITTOM marriage; that sounds very promising. Still finding it difficult to link the various Douglas's in Northamptonshire together, if indeed there is any link. In the early censuses a lot of Douglas's appear at the various 'Unions' in Northants: Hardingstone, Banbury etc.

Even though it may not have any direct bearing on my tree I am still intrigued with the various families and can feel an Expedition to Northamptonshire Records Office coming on ! Fortunately Northants is my next door county.

Thanks for all your help

Gary

howes115

Hi Gary,
    Have you made any progress on finding George Douglas' ancestry? I think the line may be from Culworth and maybe before that Chipping Warden. I've been working on the family of William Douglas (Duglas) who m Anne Motley/Matlatt abt 1634/5 (place unknown). Anne was from Ringstead, daughter of Thomas. There are numbers of Douglas families in 16th and 17th century Northants but many may come from Thomas of Chipping Warden who d bet 1527 - 1534. But I'm stuck on William b abt 1609/10.
    Betsey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast