vitalite

Red face Proctors Pleasure Park - Barrow on Soar

Does anybody have any information/knowledge of the history of Proctors Pleasure Park? My father seems to think that his family owned boats there possibly sometime between 1910 and 1945, but is not sure whether they just moored them there, or ran a business of some sort.

Kelly's directories online only go up to 1916, when a Charles Arthur Flint was listed as a pleasure boat proprietor in Barrow. Do the Kelly's directories continue after this date, and might I find them in a library somewhere? Are there any listers with a long memory who might know who ran the park during this period?

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Lynda Cunningham

Default Proctors Pleasure Park

Hi vitalite

While searching on Google for some Leicestershire info, I stumbled across a place that 'rang some bells'. I remembered that a while back someone had made an enquiry about Proctor's Pleasure Park.
    After a little detective work I found you.

You've probably moved on by now and have the answers to your enquiry, but I will share this - just in case, as there's a possibility that if you contact the Park, they might have old records and be able to tell you some of the history of the place?
    Just a thought.

Proctors Pleasure Park
    Proctors Park Road
    Barrow on Soar
    Loughborough
    Leicestershire
    LE12 8QF
    Tel: 01509 412434

best wishes
    Lynda

vitalite

Default Proctor's Pleasure Park

Lynda

Thanks for that information, I might just drop them a line. I haven't found any further information up until now.

Tina

paulkidger

Default Proctors Park Barrow

I realise that this is 3 years since your original enquiry. My father's family were from Barrow and my mother and her family evacuated from london to Quorn. I seem to remember my maternal aunt saying that she used to talk to one of the Proctors during the war years, when on a walk across the Soar meadows and that they were fairground people who settled in Barrow, quite possible at the start of the war.
    I remember going there in the early 50's when they had a train (painted pale blue i think) and a 'road train'probably made from ex RAF bomb trolleys and tractor. The passenger trailers were circular efforts and the first one actually rotated. This ttrain was towed around the rough ground at the furthest part of the park from the entrance.

Paul kidger

vitalite

Default Proctor's Pleasure Park

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info. I will mention it to my Dad and see if it rings any more bells with him.

Tina