Hall/Swan

Default JACOBUS SWAN M.D. 1782.

The Matriculation Albums of the University of Glasgow shows JACOBUS SWAN M.D. 1782.

I know who he is but after getting his M.D in 1782 I can find nothing on him. Are there any Registers on line where I can try to find him please?

LittleMissP

What are you looking for on him? Have you had a look at parish records local to where he lived? Not just for marriage and death, but perhaps mention in the parish chest of him in relation to his job perhaps?

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissP View Post
    What are you looking for on him? Have you had a look at parish records local to where he lived? Not just for marriage and death, but perhaps mention in the parish chest of him in relation to his job perhaps?
    I've looked at any registers I can think of. Many of his family were M.D's and I can find them all over the world, Africa, Oz, Jakarta, Ireland, Hong Kong, Canada, USA but this guy just disappears... I've tried JACOBUS/JACOB/IACOBUS...

So anything on him after 1792. As he could be anywhere on earth even a location would be a start..

a parking ticket..anything.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Hall/Swan View Post
    I've tried JACOBUS/JACOB/IACOBUS...
    'Jacobus' is the Latin form of James, so he could be plain James Swan.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I'm not sure if I have the correct Jacobus SWAN or not, but looking at the Matriculation Albums of the University of Glasgow, is this the chap?

JACOBUS SWAN Natus in Hybernia Filius natu Quartus Joannis Mercatoris in parochia de Killead in comitatu de Antrim.

Roughly translated as...

JAMES SWAN the fourth child of John, a merchant, a native of Ireland born in the parish of Killead in the county of Antrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Hall/Swan View Post
    So anything on him after 1792. As he could be anywhere on earth even a location would be a start..

a parking ticket..anything.

If so, a potential parking ticket for you. In the will abstract of THOMAS McCLURE of Killead sworn on the 11 Oct 1802, there is a mention of a James Swan who was one of the executors.

"Exors. Mr Wm. Fisher, town of Antrim, Mr James Swan son of Mr John Swan of Killeah, and my son William McClure, with advice of Mr William Swan senr., and ..."

www.
    from-ireland.net/county/article/Will-%26-Deed-Abstracts,-Co.-Antrim/Antrim

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I'm not sure if I have the correct Jacobus SWAN or not, but looking at the Matriculation Albums of the University of Glasgow, is this the chap?

JACOBUS SWAN Natus in Hybernia Filius natu Quartus Joannis Mercatoris in parochia de Killead in comitatu de Antrim.

Roughly translated as...

JAMES SWAN the fourth child of John, a merchant, a native of Ireland born in the parish of Killead in the county of Antrim.

If so, a potential parking ticket for you. In the will abstract of THOMAS McCLURE of Killead sworn on the 11 Oct 1802, there is a mention of a James Swan who was one of the executors.

"Exors. Mr Wm. Fisher, town of Antrim, Mr James Swan son of Mr John Swan of Killeah, and my son William McClure, with advice of Mr William Swan senr., and ..."
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
    Yes I had all that, knew who he was the 4th son of, know the two Williams, know about John which is why I didn't really want to post all that info but yes he is the correct one.

No problem, except that others are following my posts around and putting the wrong people together because it "fits"! You should see some of the trees! (John had a son Wm, Wm had a son Wm, their other brother had a son Wm.. people have the Williams all mixed up)

James was another son of John, I know where he went, what he did, matriculated in Ireland, where he died, Jacob is another son. I can find his brothers but all I can find is the matriculation....... then nothing!

I'm really just looking for a reference to Dr. Jacob(us) Swan(n) in some medical register.....I can find all the other doctors in the family but not him.
    Last edited by Procat; 18-09-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spacings

Coromandel

Do you have any other reference to Jacob/Jacobus apart from in the Glasgow Matriculation Album? If not it seems quite a plausible suggestion that he is the same person as James. As already mentioned, 'Jacobus' is how James would be recorded in Latin documents. Doctors often studied at more than one university.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post

This text can be found online at

https://www.
    archive.org/stream/matriculationalb00univuoft/matriculationalb00univuoft_djvu.txt

Scrolling up the page a bit, I see that this entry is from a 1779 list headed 'Nomina Discipulorum qui hoc Anno Academiam intraverunt sub praesidio Magistri Georgii Jardine in Classe Logica'. I cannot see a mention of 'Jacobus' going on to graduate (though I'm looking at the OCR'd version of the text which can be difficult to interpret if the original has a complex page layout). The person before him in the list, Gulielmus Black, is shown as getting an M.D. in 1782.

Hall/Swan

Hi Guys, yes I have all this, didn't want to post all this data on him due to incorrect trees being put together by others. I was trying to avoid that.

I was simply hoping there might be a mention of him in an 1810 register or something.

Thanks for trying to help which is appreciated but I think I will leave things at that if you don't mind please and try to do it privately.

Cheers.