Famous for offering help & advice

Question "DD" in Apprenticeship Books (IR1)

I've had a bit of a look in the Board of Stamps Apprenticeship Books (IR1) which have recently gone online at Ancestry, and I'm puzzled by the abbreviation "DD" which appears at the start of some entries.

The place where I first spotted it was the apprenticeship of a George DANIEL to my ancestor Richard HIRST of Badsworth, butcher, recorded on 11 Nov 1763 (IR1/23 fo223 reverse), but there are several other instances on the same page, and on other pages too. I can't see anything on that page which explains it, nor do there seem to be any clues on the opposite page recording the actual payments (fo224).

As far as I can see, the brief TNA guide to these records doesn't mention it, so I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas what it could mean, please.

Arthur

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I've had a bit of a look in the Board of Stamps Apprenticeship Books (IR1) which have recently gone online at Ancestry, and I'm puzzled by the abbreviation "DD" which appears at the start of some entries.
    I wonder if this means 'double duty'.

Indentures were supposed to be stamped and duty paid within a specific time of the indenture date. Late payment of the duty by the master meant that sum was doubled.

Trying to find a source for you to look at.

Edit: There is mention of double duty in the following books on Google.

Trader's & manufacturer's compendium: containing the laws, published in 1804
    (See page 32)

The justice of the peace, and parish officer, published 1820 but with previous editions.
    (See page 106)

Famous for offering help & advice

Many thanks for that - it does seem to make sense. Having said that, I did try to see if it related to the dates given on the right hand page, but didn't see any obvious correlation.

Arthur