Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Question Was Richard Clare born in Essex 1847?

My ancestor, Richard Clare 1847-1929, a coppersmith who sailed to Austalia with his family in 1859 has possibly conflicting birth places.
    On his marriage certificate it has his birth as Ashford.
    On his death certificate it has birth as Essex.
    Yet in a 1851 census it would seem Richard at 4 years, parents William and Mary(married Brixworth 1843), was born in West ham, Stratford.
    Where is the Ashford?
    Can anybody throw some light on this?
    William Clare , his father, 1819-1887 was an engineer and went to work on the Botany Water Works 1859, in Sydney.

yorkshirecath

Ashford is in Kent isn't it?

Starting to feel at home

Yes I thought so but perhaps there was another Ashford back in 1847.
    I am not familiar with boundaries in UK.
    Is Westham in Essex?

Reputation beyond repute

Stratford and West Ham were in Essex. There is an Ashford in Kent and another in Surrey together with many smaller places (see Streetmap for example)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The nearest I could find in 1851 was a Richard Clare b. 1847 SHALFORD Essex,..tho' maps show it as being in Guildford.
    HO107; Piece: 1761; Folio: 127; Page: 28.......living with Brother Richard 6,
    Albert 1yr & stepsister Eliza Hains.
    Mother Mary a Landlady of 29 married but husband not at home. (Did william Clare marry Mary Haynes/Hains in 1843?

The other Richard was with Father william a widow all of Buckinghamshire.

p.s.
    Births Sep 1847
    CLARE Richard ...Chorlton 20-267 others 1844 Whitechapel..1845 Liverpool.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

pattenwalsh

The Eliza Hains shown as daughter age 15 would surely not be a step daughter as her name would then be Clare, as Mary Clare would not be her mother.I think that this should read Eliza Haynes (Brixworth born the same as Mary) and could therefore be her sister.This ties in nicely with a marriage at Brixworth Dec Quarter 1843 Vol 15 page 446 where there is on the same page a William Clare and a Mary Haynes

Reputation beyond repute

Richard Clare b. 1847 SHALFORD Essex,..tho' maps show it as being in Guildford.
    There is a Shalford in Essex (Braintree) but are you sure it doesn't actually say Stratford?

Starting to feel at home

I have a transcript of the 1851 census from Ickleton Parish, Cambridgeshire and the writing is hard to read. The Stratford could look like a Shalford I suppose.
    Perhaps I'll see if I can magnify this more.
    Yes, the Eliza Haines/Haynes is most likely to be a sister of Mary. William and Mary married Brixworth 1843.
    I wonder where William was during the 1851 census? As he was an engineer perhaps he was working away on some water works scheme. It seems the family left the UK in 1859 as he was to work on beam engines in Sydney at the Botany Water Works.
    I'm not familiar with the way the census records work or how easy it is to look up someone. Is it done county by county?
    Would William still come up if he was boarding at a private address?

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by triggerandme View Post
    I have a transcript of the 1851 census from Ickleton Parish, Cambridgeshire and the writing is hard to read. The Stratford could look like a Shalford I suppose.
    Perhaps I'll see if I can magnify this more.
    Yes, the Eliza Haines/Haynes is most likely to be a sister of Mary. William and Mary married Brixworth 1843.
    I wonder where William was during the 1851 census? As he was an engineer perhaps he was working away on some water works scheme. It seems the family left the UK in 1859 as he was to work on beam engines in Sydney at the Botany Water Works.
    I'm not familiar with the way the census records work or how easy it is to look up someone. Is it done county by county?
    Would William still come up if he was boarding at a private address?
    To search in the pay per view census sites in the UK you are normally asked to give,
    Surname, First Name, Year of Birth, Place of Birth

A person with the name, birthplace and a close birth year will be returned first (regardless of the type of residence), the hits then become more and more obscure. This why members are trying to find his actual birth place.

If you post a reference to the census of 1851, members can look for themselves to see what they think it says.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I'm not sure why Eliza would have to be a 'Clare', not everyone changed the childs name after a marriage. Her Mother could have have a child at a very early age, it happened for all sorts of reasons & looking a the transcribing even the ages may be incorrect. I had finally worked out Northampton (somewhere) for Mother & Eliza, tho' Ancestry gives Cambridge ??? for Mother & 'bossthampg vruns' for Eliza. Haven't come across that before. My eyes are not the sharpest now

William doesn't have a birth-place listing but is given Cambridge on index.

While lookinng for births of Richard & Albert, I did wonder if they were listed as "Clear".

No reason at all why william Snr may not be listed elsewhere. It would be wherever he was on the night.(As long as he wasn't in Australia scouting out a future home)
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast