Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Hi and thanks to all respondents.
    Is someone able to do a census look up 1841 of William H. Clare b.1819/20 parents Thomas and Frances.
    I don't know if he still would have been living at home at 21. Maybe he was a student learning how to be an engineer? He got married 1843 in Brixworth, Northamptonshire.
    Birth place? although "Waitabit" said an index record says Cambridge. Not sure what an index record is.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I had finally worked out Northampton (somewhere) for Mother & Eliza, tho' Ancestry gives Cambridge ??? for Mother & 'bossthampg vruns' for Eliza. Haven't come across that before. My eyes are not the sharpest now
    My bad wording, sorry. I referred to the preview page on census before viewing image."View Record"
    I still believe the birthplaces given Mary & Eliza & William is Northamptonshire & 'Brixworth' seems to fit having seen it written above.

William doesn't have a birth-place listing but is given Cambridge on index
    In error I said William had been given the b.place of Cambridge, I had in fact seen the place of residence & misread. It looks as tho' the census taker has written Mary's birthplace above the line which made it hard to read & ditto marks may be meant for William.

Richard is given Shalford Essex.

The only William Henry Clare was married to another still in 1861, at Oxford.. Several other Williams of same birth age were about but mainly Ag labs or similar & no way to tell he was yours. One in Northampstonshire was again, married to another lady in 1851. A Masons labourer.

May Haynes/Haines also available on 1841 but no way to tell which may be yours. Same for Eliza.
    Sorry to not be a help.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

Richard is given Shalford Essex.
    Stratford IMHO

Thomasin

I agree with Peter that it should be Stratford.

Jeuel

Maybe Ashford is what the person recording the information heard. The person providing the info might have said Stratford or Shalford.

Just because its written down doesn't mean its right!

Have just seen a clearer image, definte cross on the 't'.
    Stratford it is !
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Mutley

Though we have established his place of birth is Stratford, I still cannot find him, for sure in 1841.
    At least not one that I would bet real money on.

Sadly, the 1841 census in the UK only tells if a person is born in or out of a county.
    I cannot see him in Cambridgeshire or Essex with parents Thomas and Frances.

Also be aware that the 1841 was supposed to round down an age to the nearest 5 years so an 1819 birth might be 1815 or might not be, depending on the enumerator!

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Also be aware that the 1841 was supposed to round down an age to the nearest 5 years so an 1819 birth might be 1815 or might not be, depending on the enumerator!
    Wouldn't that be 1824 - down in age - up in year of birth ?

As I understand it:

HO107; Piece: 1761; Folio: 127; Page: 28.......living with Brother Richard 6,correction William 6****
    Albert 1yr & stepsister Eliza Hains.
    Mother Mary a Landlady of 29 married but husband not at home. (Did William Clare marry Mary Haynes/Hains in 1843?
    Birth place? although "Waitabit" said an index record says Cambridge. Not sure what an index record is.
    William age 6 b. Stratford -referred to the son of Mary & William.

# 11
    Hi and thanks to all respondents.
    Is someone able to do a census look up 1841 of William H. Clare b.1819/20 parents Thomas and Frances.
    I don't know if he still would have been living at home at 21. Maybe he was a student learning how to be an engineer? He got married 1843 in Brixworth, Northamptonshire.
    Now looking for the absent Husband of Mary-Father of William 6 .Richard 4. & Albert 1. (1851)
    Not found on any other census so far,so no definite age or birth place known for William Senior.

Always possible that William snr travelled o'seas well before the Family all left. Perhaps even born away from UK.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Starting to feel at home

I did find in my research a William Clare born 28 May 1820 at St.Elphins,Warrington, Lancashire to a Thomas and Frances. Father's occupation whitesmith.
    However this would seem to be a long way from Northamptonshire where he married.
    And no way of knowing as I don't know mother's maiden name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast