Dizzy600

Default Ernest Binns Arcadian Follies

Hi All,

I would like to find out more about the above as my great grandfather Harold Walden performed with them in the 1930' - 1940's. He was a Music Hall Artiste/Comdian. I think he may have met his second wife Emily Jackson nee Shepherd (stage name possibly 'Betty Brennan' who may have been a dancer with them). I haven't been able to find any information on her stage career.

Harold sang a song called 'Mother I'm a Soldier' during this time. I have tried 'googling' E.B Arcadian Follies but can't seem to find much info etc. Is there a book about them?

Karen

Dizzy600

Hi notanotherminer,

Thank you for the tip. I have alot of the information regarding his football career and am now starting to get more on his theatre career.
    He played the banjo/ukelele and I have been able to buy one with a metal stamp of him and the song title 'Only Me Knows Why' on it. It is marked 'British Made' but don't know which company actually made them.

Thanks again
    karen

Coromandel

Have you seen the film footage of Harry Walden here? :

https://
    idletigers.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/harry-walden-music-hall-bantam/

When googling I also came across an advert for the sale of an old 78 record called 'A Blackpool Selection' by the Arcadian Follies.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There seems to be plenty of information about both Harold WALDEN and the Arcadian Follies in the archives of The Stage newspaper.

https://
    archive.thestage.co.uk

It's a paysite (free thumbnails), with various short-term and longer-term packages available.

Dizzy600

Hi Cormandel & Kerrywood,

Thank you both. I have seen the 'sketch'. The 78 record was sold unfortunately. I have got one 78 record that he recorded called 'Only Me Knows Why'.

The Stage Archive will have to wait until my boys go back to school so that I can sit and download without interuption!!!

I just thought there may have been a book published with names of the dancers etc.

Karen