Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jane56

Default Marriage 1872-1877

Hi,

I have just started researching my Dad's family tree which has taken me to Ireland with the McHugh's.

I have no experience of researching Irish records, can anyone give me any advice of how I begin?

The starting point is a marriage of Edward McHugh and Rose Ellen (unknown surname), I believe they married sometime between 1872 - 1877.

Any help would be much appreciated

Jane

Reputation beyond repute

Are there no birth certificates to provide the mother's maiden name?

Jane56

Hi Peter,

All I have is the 1891 and 1901 England Census which shows Edward McHugh and his wife Rose Ellen. They are both said to be born in Ireland. There is no record of them that I can find prior to those census' in England and I have no idea how to go any further ....

Reputation beyond repute

It's not the family in North Shields in 1891 is it? If so you've actually got birth places shown.

You need to obtain the birth certificate of one of the children to get the mother's maiden name. Then you can start looking for the marriage.

Jane56

Yes it is. I want to get further back, so assuming that I will have to purchase their marriage certificate to find out the fathers names.

Thanks for your help.

Reputation beyond repute

That's it. One step at a time. The birth certificate of one of the children (your direct ancestor for preference) for the mother's maiden name. Then use that information to find the marriage of the parents. Then use the information in the marriage certificate to get back a further generation (although in practice that may not be so easy because of the realities of Irish research)

Jane56

thank you, i will start with the birth certificate first .

jane

Reputation beyond repute

I'm not very good at Irish names but so far as I can gather, the birthplaces given in the 1891 census - Carrickfergus and Magheramorne would both have been in the Larne registration district.

If so, a possible spouse might be Rose Ellen McKinty. She and Edward McHugh are both in the index as having married in 1875 in Larne, vol 1, page 779.

I stand to be corrected on any of this. And of course, you do need the birth certificate.

See the Irish Civil Registration indexes at https://www.familysearch.org/s/colle...2B82PRagg%253D

When you're ready, you can order a marriage certificate from here

1891 census reference: The National Archives; RG 12/2223 f 85 p 41

Reputation beyond repute

1891 census reference: The National Archives; RG 12/2223 f 85 p 41
    Typo alert! Should be The National Archives; RG 12/4223 f 85 p 41

Jane56

thanks again Peter, thats just brilliant. will you know if i am able to purchase a certificate from 1875 as that website only goes to 1922?

thanks so much

Jane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast