robsnicta

Default Piersebridge 1733 - 1829

Hi All

Can anyone tell me which registration district Piersebridge came under between 1733 - 1829. I have an encester that was born there during that period and I can't find Piersebridge listed under parish records for County Durham.

Thanks
    Robsnicta

Tolly

Darlington?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by robsnicta View Post
    Can anyone tell me which registration district Piersebridge came under between 1733 - 1829.
    There were no registration districts before 1837.

Quote Originally Posted by robsnicta View Post
    I have an encester that was born there during that period and I can't find Piersebridge listed under parish records for County Durham.
    Piercebridge was apparently a township in the parish of Gainford.

This item appears to cover part of the relevant period.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Piercebridge (note the spelling) wouldn't have been in any registration district prior to 1 July 1837 when civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths began.

What would have existed would be ecclesiastical 'districts'. I confess I'm not too hot on the correct structure and I believe it differs from county to county, but I've heard of archdeaneries and deaneries.

With lots of my queries I start with Genuki, and the list of towns and villages - to which there is usually a link at the top of the county page.
    Sometimes, as in the case of Durham and Piercebridge you have to dig a little deeper, and look for a more complete listing.
    https://
    joinermarriageindex.co.uk/pjoiner/genuki/DUR/fullindex.html
    According to that list Pierce Bridge was at one time part of Gainford parish.

A google search says that St Marys church Piercebridge (not to be confused with St Marys, Gainford) dates from 1873, so I would therefore search the Gainford registers first.

Pam

(who, as usual, is a s slower typist than Kerrywood. )

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Pam
    (who, as usual, is a s slower typist than Kerrywood. )
    ... but Pam (as usual) gives fuller guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    ... but Pam (as usual) gives fuller guidance.
    Thank you, kind lady, but in this case I think the honours were fairly even.
    Pam (as usual) just spent more words saying it.

Pam

One thing I did mean to look at, and forgot, was the new Family search site.
    https://www.familysearch.org/

Click on Europe in 'browse by location'.

Then scroll down to England, Diocese of Durham Bishop's transcripts which are after England and Wales in the alpha list.

Click 'browse through images', select Durham, then Gainford.
    There's also a link to Denton which, according to the earlier description link given for Gainford, is an adjacent parish.
    In case you don't know, PRs prior to the printed registers which came into use in 1813 are a bit of a mish-mash, so it's a case of just working your way through the pages and carefully noting which events are which.

These online image are also referred to as Bishop's Transcripts which are supposed to be a copy of the actual PRs, but usually there are discrepancies between the two, so if you can't find the people you're looking for, check to see if the PRs exist (should be at Durham Record Office I would have thought) and work your way through them too.

Pam

robsnicta

Thanks for your help folks it's much appreciated. Which collection on family search would I choose for North Yorkshire records?

I have heard that if you are having trouble tracing ancestors that if you start with the death or burial record and work backwards you may find it easier. Has anyone got a copy of the NBI3 DVD and if so is it worth getting?

Robsnicta