Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Where was H.M.S. Vivid on Oct 13, 1913?

A 2nd cousin was aged 19 and an Asst. Armourer when he died of an "unspecified disease" on board ship. There is no grave site specified, so I presume he was buried at sea.

Can it be possible to locate where the ship was on that fateful day?

Colin

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Can it be possible to locate where the ship was on that fateful day?
    If Wikipedia is to be believed, at the time your relative died, HMS Vivid was not a ship but a shore establishment, namely the Navy barracks at Devonport:

https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vivid

Colin Rowledge

As an interesting aside, my Grand-uncle received the Long Service and Good Conduct medals while serving as C.P.O on board H.M.S. Vivid on 8 November 1926.

My family has a certain affinity to this ship.

Colin

Coromandel

Given the Royal Navy's habit of re-using ship names, it isn't safe to assume that the 1913 HMS Vivid and the 1926 HMS Vivid are one and the same.

According to the same Wikipedia article mentioned in post #2, the 1913 HMS Vivid was the former HMS Cuckoo, while the 1926 HMS Vivid would have been the former HMS Marshal Ney.

gasser

HMS Cuckoo UK launched 14th August 1873, class Ant builder Laird, type Gunboat , Renamed Vivid on 19 February 1912, Vivid II in January 1922, YC37 in 1923 and finally sold to Hocking, Plymouth in 1959.
    From 1920 referred to officially as Vivid (Old).
    Last edited by gasser; 25-09-2012 at 7:05 PM. Reason: added a bit

Colin Rowledge

A 2nd cousin was aged 19 and an Act. Armourer when he died of an "unspecified disease" on board ship.

Colin
    Taking into accout post #2, I have modified the quotation above that I proposed in post #1.

I have the UK Royal Navy and Royal Marine War Graves Roll 1914-1919 where he is referenced. Could he have been on a 'training exercise' and died during training?

I have, since my original post, determined that he is buried in the Parish of Gerrans Cemetery, in Cornwall.

Checking on Ancestry for his death in 1913 there is no record, so this led me to believe he was outside of the U.K. when he died.

His name was Thomas Paddy.

Colin

Coromandel

Checking on Ancestry for his death in 1913 there is no record
    Perhaps because he didn't die in 1913? The Commonwealth War Graves Commission says he died 13/10/1918.

Edit . . . which is confirmed by an entry in the GRO index, with the death of a Thomas Paddy being registered in the last quarter of 1918 in the E. Stonehouse district. You should be able to order a death certificate for him.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Perhaps because he didn't die in 1913? The Commonwealth War Graves Commission says he died 13/10/1918.

Edit . . . which is confirmed by an entry in the GRO index, with the death of a Thomas Paddy being registered in the last quarter of 1918 in the E. Stonehouse district. You should be able to order a death certificate for him.
    So it would appear to be a transcriber error as to the date of death. A pity they didn't attach the image!!!

gasser

There is a photo of his grave at Gerrans...have you seen it? It confirms his date of death as 13th October 1918 at Royal Naval Hospital Plymouth - St Gerrans Churchyard Index.

Coromandel

Given that the title is 'UK Royal Navy and Royal Marine War Graves Roll 1914-1919' I would be surprised to find 1913 deaths in it. Is it possible that it says 1918 but that the '8' is imperfectly printed/typed so looks like a '3'?

P.S. sorry, gasser, I cross-posted with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast