Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Royal Navy WW1?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Lenore

Could this be your man? https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D8570427. Since your man was on a trawler and this service record relates to the RNR he seems a likely match.

Martin

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Martin,

Red letter day today - it *is* him - contrary to my expectations! Thank you so much - I wouldn't have found that by myself, and in fact have probably skimmed past that record already, but seeing you served it up on a plate I had a closer look. The immediate off-putting fact is that he was not born in London, he was born in Fitzroy, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. but seeing the record you drew to my attention had a birthdate I thought I had better check it against what I knew. It is only last year that I got his birth date. The year is wrong as well, but the birthday of 22 May is right, so I thought it was well worth 3 pounds and 36 pence to see if it was him - and it was. Although the front of the card gives his birthplace as London, the back of the card gives his parents' address in Fitzroy. I can't tell you how excited my mother will be to see this record - though she'll have difficulty reading it - how on earth did they ever write so SMALL? I can barely read it myself, and will have to spend some time on it. Unfortunately I can't do it right now, have to be off out of the house in half an hour, and what's worse, I've agreed to go out to lunch, so it will be quite a few hours before I can get a good look at it, but thank you once again.

Best wishes,

Lenore

postiebear

its not you need to enalarge it, the books this was taken from are in A3 but they were shrunk to be put onto microfilm,

it will have his full record and what ships he served on, if you need help just send a PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123