Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    spison

Default George JONES - 1st Monmouthshire

Here is a link to an image of my grandfather's medal card. (I know it's correct as both his sons are still alive, my uncle wasn't sure where he'd put the medals and it took ages to find them but the numbers match. Very lucky!) I can't understand what is written in the 'Remarks' column. The other 5 cards - all for George JONES, 1st Monmouthshire - that came with the download have nothing in the Remarks column. Which I believe confirms that it's the right card.

https://i872.photobucket.com/albums/a...ge19190307.jpg

Family oral history says that he was wounded and captured at Ypres in 1917 and finished the war as a PoW somewhere in Germany. We actually have an image of him in the camp. He worked on farms [the kommandos?] and from what I've read about the first Monmouthshire I suspect that he was captured in 1915 and that I'm lucky to be here!

When I am at TNA next month after four days in Ypres (I leave on Monday - Arrr!), I believe that I can read 'J/1/9B' but that is all. I've looked at the TNA - truly I have - but can't seem to find anything.

So my questions are:
    1. Is the word in the remarks something obvious like discharged, demobilized etc. or something else?
    2. Any other advice on where I can look when I'm at TNA and are there any further clues on the card?
    3. What's the second number (225959) as this doesn't appear on his medals?

Thanks
    Jane
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 19-08-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: full image replaced by link, for copyright reasons