Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default Directories 1919/20 Southwark Area.

Having recently found that a relative who married in 1919 was a 'cordial maker' living in Southwark,(Marriage lines) I wonder if there are any directories for that time & place. I found nothing in Historical Directories online . He was born Dec.1/4 of 1879 or early 1880. parents weren't into baptism as far as I've found.

I don't know if he had a small factory or dabbled in his back yard if he had one in Bevington St. .(how appropriate is that?) It may not have been near his home. Perhaps he worked for someone else.

In 1901 I believe he was a stoker in the Navy, so no help there.

Can anyone help please?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

A fountain of knowledge

Bevington St appears to have been a post-WW1 creation, and I can't find a London directory for that period online. However, libraries of my aquaintance have them. Knowing his name would help

Thanks for looking Chris,..:Thomas Martin b 1879/80 Bermondsey.
    1919 married Emily Margaret Murrell. She was formerly married to Joseph Martin. (his Brother) Dtr Emily Margaret Martin b. 1899.

Bevington st. shows now on Google,I took a lovely trip down there today via Google. Listed as in Camberwell. Continues from St.James' Rd over Jamaica Rd. Bermondsey.
    1911 may show him in Southwark but I'm not joining up just to prove it. "Have Ancestry, can't be greedy" too many Thomases.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

malcolm99

Ancestry has one.

UK City & County Directories>England>London> 1921 Hughes' Business Directory>Image 1127 which gives a list of cordial manufacturers.

Both ‘Girling Bros’ & ‘London O T Ltd’ are relatively convenient for Bermondsey. Even though Girlings is over the river it’s only a short stroll over Tower Bridge in the morning –and what nicer way would there be to walk to work! Redmead Lane ran parallel to and just north of what is now called Hermitage Wall (between that and what is now Vaughan Way).

Thank you Malcolm, I missed that. Shall have another look.

i did see a huge advert for a Gin company who graciously suggest mixing their gin with cordials etc.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

A fountain of knowledge

From Electoral Rolls for Bevington Street, Bermondsey, Ward 6, Polling district G (D in the later years below) at Southwark Local Studies:-

1918 Not found (but at this time there were multiple lists and I didn't have time to search too hard)
    Spring & Autumn 1919: Alice Emily Butterfield, Benjamin John Butterfield, & Emily Murrell at No 84
    Spring 1920 to Autumn 1923: Thomas & Emily Martin only at No 84
    The Martins are there until 1931, being joined over the years by Criscelia Eliza & Thomas Joseph Spurgeon and Eliza & Joseph Hallam, probably lodgers unless you recognise the names
    In 1932 it's Hallams and Spurgeons only.

Southwark LSL only has the London-wide directories which just give businesses and only half a dozen addresses in Bevington St are listed, not including 84, and no cordial makers. Next week I hope to be going somewhere else which has more detailed directories which may cover Bermondsey, so watch this space.

Brilliant Chris, thank you for that. It appears Thomas probably worked as a cordial maker for some-one else. At least he survived until 1932. The other residents are unfamiliar at this point, maybe unconnected.

I found nothing on Ancestry.

Thankyou again
    Happy Families
    Wendy

A fountain of knowledge

No more detailed directories covering Bermondsey at Lambeth Local Studies, but I found a Thomas Martin not too far away at 53 Conifer Gardens, Streatham, SW16, in a 1934 directory. Does Streatham ring any bells? I think the relevant electoral rolls to see if he's married to an Emily are at Wandsworth Local Studies in Battersea, which I need to visit sometime.

Thank you Chris. I don't have much knowledge of the many Family members after 1911. Of those I do know many headed down that way through Camberwell to Croydon & the now Mid Eastern districts inc. Sutton, Carshalton & further to Kent & Sussex. Others went the other way into Edmonton,Chelsea & assorted areas.

There were enough probably to have a rep in each area.
    I have noted the death of a Thomas Martin in Bermondsey in 1940. There were several born around same time & looking for the death of Emily M. just as difficult, perhaps more so as many Emilies may have married into Martin Families.

Perhaps I could email the Wandsworth History people & ask about electoral rolls.
    Happy Families
    Wendy