Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Findem

Default Essex Records Office

Hi All,

The following is pasted from an E Bulletin from the ERO which I received:

Pay-to-Browse Launch

Essex Record Office will be launching Essex Ancestors on 30 August. This new service will offer unlimited pay-to-browse access to Essex parish registers and many wills, giving customers fuller and wider access to our holdings from the comfort of their homes. Parish register coverage will extend from at least 1538 to 1837 with the period 1837 to the present partly included at go-live date or planned imminently. Marriages within the last 50 years will be excluded, in compliance with government guidelines, however.

Parish register and will images will become available for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months or 1 year according to the user’s need or preference, but we are pleased to say that access to the images will be free in the ERO Searchroom.

We look forward to your future comments (e mail: [email protected]) and hope that this new departure will help mitigate our savings in the new financial climate.

End of quote.

The Charges:
    1 day £5.00
    1 week £15.00
    1 month £25.00
    6 months £50.00
    1 year £75.00

So if you have Essex PR checks to carry out and want to do them free of charge, get in quick

Regards

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quite some time ago i searched on SEAX and found a few of my families baptisms etc on it. I have since gone back to the site and these images seem no longer available and i cant find my downloads at the moment. Is the PPV plan possibly the reason why i wonder ?
    Chasing Caseys

Knowledgeable and helpful

Please ignore the above, i wasnt looking properly !
    Chasing Caseys

Findem

Default Further info,

Hi all,

Further info from the ERO in response to my query "will the later year PRs currently not online, be online at the commencement of Pay-to-Browse?"

"They’ll all be published and available online from 30 August if all goes according to plan, 1538-1837 as a minimum and I think most likely 1837-date for the front of the alphabet."

Regards.

Findem

Hi All,

Another snippet of info is that the ERO aim to put the Non Comformist registers online but unfortunately they cannot give a time scale, it's good news nonetheless.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Will these records be part of a seperate catalogue?I have found SEAX exremely difficult to navigate in its current form and would waste most of the day just finding the data.
    Here's hoping..

Reputation beyond repute

I have found SEAX exremely difficult to navigate
    If you're looking just for registers, it's fairly straightforward providing you spot the words "To see what registers we have available click here". I don't think that link on the main catalogue search page is very prominent.

Findem

Hi warncoort,

I would expect the Non Conformist Registers to be alongside the current online Essex PRs but cannot say for sure because I didn't ask the question.

Not sure what part of the SEAX system you find difficult, I have found no problems but then I haven't yet got down to searching for Wills and other documents. Just in case you're having problems with finding PRs here is how I go about it:

The URL I have in 'Favorites' for the SEAX system is https://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/default.asp

On the first screen click on Essex Ancestors which is on the right hand side of that screen.

The next screen will ask you to Choose a Letter eg C for Chelmsford

The next screen will ask you to Choose a Parish from a list of Essex parishes whose names begin with the letter you chose.

Next a list of churches in that Parish will come up.

Click on the one you want and up comes a list of Microfiche arranged in order of the years they cover eg Baptisms 1650 - 1749.

As you've probably already found, those you can currently view online have the words "Digital images Microfiche" attached and those without can only be viewed at the ERO.

If, as I suspect, it's another part of the SEAX system you find difficult I'm sure some kind person on this board will help you.

Regards.

Findem

New date for the commencement of Pay-to-Browse is 3 October 2011

Regards

Findem

Hi,

New new date for Pay to View is 17th October

Regards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast