Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    deeree

Default VicHeritage CD-ROM

I've recently upgraded my computer and now have Windows 7. So far, so good. Today a relative contacted me about a family line she's tracing and asked me to look up a VicHeritage CD-ROM index for her. I have a set of these CD-ROM's and considering the $250 cost of each I am always happy to do a lookup. Guess what? They are not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit or Vista 64 bit. This is not something I'd anticipated. I hope by posting this, some others of you won't get the nasty shock I got.

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Can you go in to more detail as to exactly what is not compatible, and how you know (i.e. what error message you are getting, or what resource gave you this incompatibility information)?

Has your CD or DVD drive been working since you upgraded to Windows 7?

Procat

You are correct about them being incompatable Deree. I assume you have Windows 7 64 bit Home version? If you have Windows 7 Professional you can download Windows Virtual XP mode which should run them from

https://www.
    microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

Alternatively, if you have a Windows XP installation disc you can install that and they will run - but I do not know the technicalities of installation.

PS (I've also moved this to computer help)

deeree

Thanks for your interest Jonesy, but the problem is incompatability. The CD drive works fine.

Thanks for that information Procat and for moving the thread. I don't know why I didn't put it here myself. As you thought, I do have the Windows 7 Home version and also the old XP installation disc. Not sure what I'll do about this. At present I'm considering keeping the old computer just for use with the VicHeritage CD-ROMs. I'm also starting to wonder if there are any more surprises in the wings. The thought of having both Windows 7 and XP running at the same time on my beautiful new desktop scares me a bit. I might talk to the people at my computer shop.

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Can you confirm what types of files (.pdf, .doc etc) are on the CD? Or is there a separate .exe file that opens what you are using?

You wouldn't need to run Windows 7 and XP on the same PC; Windows 7 simply emulates XP.

Good luck.

deeree

The CD-ROM's are indexes of the State of Victoria's BDM's and are produced by the Victorian Department of Justice. The DoJ is still selling these discs and notes that they are not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit or Vista 64 bit.

I'm a bit nervous about trying to modify the operating system to accommodate them. I'm not sufficiently au fait with the software to even begin to understand what could be done to make these things work.

I've had them for many years and don't often use them anymore. If I were just starting my genealogical journey, it would be more of a blow than it is.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I may just keep the old computer set up and ready to go.

Procat

Hi Jonesy/Deree,

Deree is correct. The discs will not run on 64 bit versions of Windows including when XP compatability settings are used for them. The retailers web site states:

"Will DiggerTM work with Windows 7?
    The various editions of Windows 7 come in 32-bit and 64-bit variants. DiggerTM itself should work without any problems with 32-bit Windows 7, however it will not work with 64-bit. If you want to use DiggerTM with Windows 7 64-bit, we suggest you download and install Windows XP Mode. Windows XP Mode makes use of Microsoft Virtual PC, and it integrates with Windows 7, so you can launch DiggerTM from the Windows 7 Start menu. Windows XP Mode and Microsoft Virtual PC are both free products from Microsoft. Windows XP Mode is only available for Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate. You can download Windows XP Mode and Microsoft Virtual PC from Microsoft."

I have seen posts on other forums advising that XP can be installed on the same computer as Windows 7 using the XP installation disc however I have never looked in to how it is done.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

I too have upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit Pro but XP Mode now hangs each time i want to use it.Have been on several forums without a result so look like i will have to run an XP laptop alongside my PC,bit messy but i will get to use BMD index.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

IT bloke fixed my problem,something in BIOS had slipped and old discs are in use again.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by warncoort View Post
    IT bloke fixed my problem,something in BIOS had slipped and old discs are in use again.
    Bet you are right pleased with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast